Breeding O.bimaculoides

cephalopoder

Blue Ring
Registered
Hey Colin, Tony and every one else its been awhile since I have stopped by but I have some good news. I have mated my first pair of O.bimaculoides this season and I am now the proud owner of lots of captive breed baby bimacs! The project started back in september and this weekend the eggs started hatching and I must say compaired to the O.mercatoris I reared last year the baby bimacs are a much bolder, larger and friendlier hatchings. They are eating like pigs and are day active. At night they all cling to the tanks glass to sleep.So far about a dozen have hatched and momma still has more she is brooding. The ones that hatched this weekend must have been the first eggs she laid. I have more details and some pics up at the follwing link below. And oh yeah, the little ones will all need good homes in a couple of months should all go well. :biggrin2:
Chris
http://www.reefcentral.com/vbulleti...2fe7f10a9829d26109cb0aa450b1b&threadid=145620

Colin

TONMO Supporter
Registered
Great news Chris

I know for a fact that people here will be keen to support you in breeding the bimacs and buyig babies from you rather than wild caughts... Now i just need to concentrate on the UK side of things! :smile:

Are you going to batch rear or individual rearing?

cephalopoder

Blue Ring
Registered
I am currently keeping them in the main tank. They seem to be doing fine in there so far. I have several reaing systems so I may swith them over shopuld the need arise. I have not witnessed any fighting between the hatchings so far. I need to find a home for one of the captive ffexpress babies so if there is any one in the NH/MA/ME area and you are interested please contact me directly. I am not prepaired to ship at this time, but I will be as soon as I get heat packs, bags, and more boxes.
Chris

Rona

O. bimaculoides
Registered
O. bimac babies

Wow! That is so cool. I too have raised O. bimacs in captivity, and it was a blast! Heads up though. There will be cannibalisim soon. :biggrin2: Happy babysitting Chris, Rona

cephalopoder

Blue Ring
Registered
Thanks Rona
Did you actually mate a male and female? Or did you get a gravid wild caught female? What was your clutch size? How many were you able to rear to adult size?I posted a pic on the same link of the two bimacs mating.
-chris

LittleMatt

Cuttlefish
Registered
Sweet. I'm from MA. I am going to be setting up a tank soon that will hopefully contain a bimac. When do you plan on selling the babies? I must commend you on being able to breed these awesome creatures. Good luck and I hope everything goes well.

cephalopoder

Blue Ring
Registered
Thanks Littlematt
I think it will be at least a good month before they are any where near ready to go to a good home. But I am guessing 2 months. Any one interested email mail me directly and I will put you on a waiting list should all go well. There is a lot to plan for concerning shipping. So far today I have counted over 20 and the number is growing day by day.

cephalopoder

Blue Ring
Registered
Carol
I use several. The pics of the babies are stills taken from a sony tvr530 digital video camra. The mating pic is from a old agfa 1280. I am also trying a fuji finepix A303. The sony is the best all around for macro shots.