• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community. Founded in 2000, we have built a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up - it's free! You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and gain access to our Supporters forum. Follow us on Twitter and Facebook for more cephy goodness.

Beginner Tank

AprylWillis

GPO
Registered
I guess no one has any suggestions for what plants I should put into my salt water tank to get the system up and running and in peak condition?

I noticed that other posts were being responded to.

I really don't want to have to beg for help.

What kind of light system should I buy for the aquarium? I was using a low-lighting system before for the octopus.

hey i am very new to i am geting me octo on thursday but i will try to help you from what i no from all the info i found i heard that they dont really like light so try to get a low light

Jean

Colossal Squid
Registered
I think part of the problem Apryl, is that not many of us have planted aquariums!

We have Bladder (Giant) kelp Macrocystis pyrifera, Neptunes Necklace Hormosira banksii, Branching velvet weed Codium fragile assorted coralines (not always by choice!) and a few others. BUT we don't generally grow them. We collect parts of plants because we have a few herbivores who can chew plants down to the rocks very quickly indeed!

J

AprylWillis;89328 said:
I guess no one has any suggestions for what plants I should put into my salt water tank to get the system up and running and in peak condition?

I noticed that other posts were being responded to.

I really don't want to have to beg for help.

What kind of light system should I buy for the aquarium? I was using a low-lighting system before for the octopus.
Danthemarineman;89336 said:
I have a bunch of plants I could send you.
hey you think that you can send me so plants too........new tank

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
Dan, have you actually kept any of these plants in your tanks for some time? If so, which ones do well?

Nancy

AprylWillis

GPO
Registered
I understand that a lot of you don't house plants in the aquarium--let alone lighting. I'm sorry for being so impatient. I'm just excited about setting up my tank.

AprylWillis;89328 said:
...suggestions for what plants I should put into my salt water tank to get the system up and running and in peak condition? ...
I would say that plants don't seem to get a saltwater ceph tank in peak condition. They are pretty to look at and add to a otherwise sparce tank, but normally degrade the water quality more often than improve it.

Thisis not true in reef tanks with little fish flitting around and bright lighting. Octos will most likely pull it up or play with the rubber band that is trying to help them root. The lighting that is prime to get a octo to come out and play is less than plants need. You can have bright lighting for plants and never see your octo during the day.

I use Cheato in the sump to absorb nitrates and try to help coraline algae, but that is pretty much it for plants.

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gary T

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak