[Featured]: Architeuthis (Giant Squid) Sightings

GPO87

Sepia elegans
Staff member
Moderator (Staff)
I like how casually this guy posts about his boat sometimes pulling up Archi's. Like "Oh darn, there's a kraken on the line again.... sigh... I'll probably miss my bus."

tonmo

Cthulhu
Staff member
Site Owner

tonmo

Cthulhu
Staff member
Site Owner
Per Google Translate:

/
[Video included] A close-up shot of a giant squid while diving 💥
ï¼¼
The news that an extremely rare creature was found at a diving point in Takeno, Hyogo Prefecture 👀❗️
Its true identity is a giant squid 🦑
The size is ❓ and the appearance when found ❓
Interview with Yosuke Tanaka of "Dive Resort T-style" 🎤

h/t @jeffday:

tonmo

Cthulhu
Staff member
Site Owner
@mournblade you had requested more giant cephs; are you following this thread? Lots to consume here in 2023! @OB 👀

A high school student captured a ``giant squid with a total length of over 5m'' and found it weakened in shallow water during a practical class​

mournblade

Blue Ring
Registered
I am ALWAYS following this thread! Thank you!!!

By-the-way, is Dr. Steve O'Shea still among the living? I haven't seen or heard anything from him in years!

:smile:

mournblade

Blue Ring
Registered
That's what like, now, THREE people who have touched a living Architeuthis. . . and lived?!?

Sorry I don't post here more often. I know jack-s**t about giant (and colossal) squid, but I've been obsessed with them since I was in the first grade circa 1977 or 1978 and found out about them in Collier's Encyclopedia for Kids, specifically volume 5 (which was about animals). I remember this line: "Usually the whale wins and eats the squid!"

Freaking terrified and fascinated me at the same time!

tonmo

Cthulhu
Staff member
Site Owner
Always great to hear from you! Amazing what a tag (@) can do! I did ping Dr. O... he's around / out / about as far as I know! But we haven't connected in a long while.