• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community, and birthplace of #WorldOctopusDay and #CephalopodAwarenessDays. Founded in 2000, we are a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up. You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and enjoy other perks. Follow us on Twitter for more cephy goodness.

Oceanic white tip shark with sucker marks of a very large squid (likely Architeuthis)

Sordes

Wonderpus
Registered
I just found an interesting article about the discovery of a 7 feet long oceanic white tip shark photographed in the Pacific off Hawaii. It had a lot of well visible sucker marks from a very large squid (most likely Architeuthis). I´ve seen similar sucker marks were already described in mako sharks feeding on Humboldt squids. Perhaps some of you will also remember that many years ago I started a thread after I discovered photos of an Antarctis sleeper shark and a Pacific sleeper shark with very large sucker scars which were never officially made public. Here´s the link: This shark fought off a deep-sea squid, first-ever picture reveals

tonmo

Cthulhu
Staff member
Webmaster
Cool! Large rings, two rings wide. This shark has seen some action!
Perhaps some of you will also remember that many years ago I started a thread after I discovered photos of an Antarctis sleeper shark and a Pacific sleeper shark with very large sucker scars which were never officially made public.
Here is said thread:

@mournblade - you asked for more giant beasties :biggrin2:

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DHF8

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan