• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community, and birthplace of #WorldOctopusDay and #CephalopodAwarenessDays. Founded in 2000, we are a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up. You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and enjoy other perks. Follow us on Twitter for more cephy goodness.

Possible Mesonychoteuthis sucker marks on an antarctic sleeper shark

Sordes

Wonderpus
Registered
Thank you again for the links! I had already read the one about the sleeper sharks at the time when it was published, and it´s really interesting to have now a real indication of aggressive interactions between the two species. Of course the article doesn´t take into account that large sleeper sharks are in fact even bigger than even a large Architeuthis or even Mesonychoteuthis in terms of weight.
I wanted to include many of the lesser known facts about Architeuthis (and Mesonychoteuthis as well) in my talk and wanted to focus especially on the many common misbelieves you can still found today in the media, like exaggerated size for example, or the interaction with other predators besides the sperm whale.
I added a collage of known prey species of Architeuthis (including Archi himself to illustrate the cannibalism) I made for the talk. It was a lot of work to look for all the fitting photos. I didn´t know the species of rat-tails, so I had to use some random species. In this case the common names are in German, but I also added the scientific names.

Attachments

• Architeuthis Beutetiere 3.jpg
    Architeuthis Beutetiere 3.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 564
Last edited:

Sordes

Wonderpus
Registered
Yes, but it´s still good timing, so I can add some very new stuff to my talk.
I find the interactions between large squids and fish like patagonian toothfish, certain sharks and other fish like swordfish really quite interesting. This are probably much more real confrontations than the more mythical "fights" between giant squids and sperm whales. I also realized that it is really quite hard to find photos of Architeuthis sucker marks in sperm whales. After all, they doesn´t even seem that common. I have also a really large number of sperm whale photos in my archive (I use them for example for details on models or also for reconstruction issues of prehistoric sperm whales, but only a very small numbers shows really clear scars from squid suckers.

GPO87

Sepia elegans
Staff member
Those photo's are all really cool! It would be difficult to determine if those scars were made by a mesy or an archi (I'm personally not sure how far south Architeuthis is found). But yes, definitely the result of a struggle between the shark and a very large (VERY alive) squid!

Sordes

Wonderpus
Registered
The squid which caused this scars was obviously not a very big one, but as there are really only quite few photos of sucker scars on whales online, I still found this noteworthy.

Sordes

Wonderpus
Registered
There seems to be some other sucker scars, especially around the mouth, and perhaps some bigger ones in the throat area, the ones I circled red are the best visible ones.

Attachments

• Pilot whale with sucker scars.jpg
    Pilot whale with sucker scars.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 6,640

Sordes

Wonderpus
Registered
The two cuts which looks like 66 (it seems they get numbers cut in the head, as I´ve seen other ones with other numbers at this part of the head) are of course man-made. But at the very same skin area is also a horizontal double row of clear sucker marks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomasjedlicka

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak