[Featured]: Architeuthis (Giant Squid) Sightings

Does it look like an arch? I can't tell. I don't really think it looks like it. Excuse my lack of terminology but its (not mantle) head and arm length seem kind of stubby. It also made me think this video is related to this picture....

Onykia robusta - Wikipedia

Still too stubby though.

Hmmm, mantle and fins look a bit like Onykia robusta but the arms are short, as Danno notes -- they look damaged but still not quite right. This species does have some variability so wouldn't rule it out entirely. Definitely not Archi. Large ommastrephid might also be possible?

Large female Ommastrephes bartramii? They grow to ML's of 60 cm (2 feet), I think I see keels on #2, so I'm tending to lean even further away from Onykia ingens, which would be a logical contender when considering arm length and overall morphology, but appears too geographically limited to be a serious contender, no?

No ingens in Japan that I've ever heard of. Ommastrephes bartramii could be possible but this looks like it's larger than the max size known for them... but the apparent size might be deceptive I guess?

Judging by the syphon caused "stirring up" in the opening shot and the rippling light "waves" (not a native speaker, sorry) that are visible on the sandy bottom in the next sequence, I'd say ML does not exceed 60 to 70 cm.

Here's a pic by Richard Young, for comparison, this one has a ML of approximately 40 cm, based on the fingers in the background.

Ommastrephes_bartramii_%28Neon_flying_squid%29%2C_Northern_Hawaiian_waters.jpg

This is Richard with one whose ML I'd say exceeds 55 cm?

Dick.JPG

BTW, is that Nippon Television/Discovery and Kubodera still happening? I am sure if they found anything they probably had to sign NDA's to keep their mouths shut. Anything about that on the grape vine?

I am hoping we hear something from sir Steve soon. I follow him a little on Facebook and he answered one of my posts to the positive on this and that he will be joining the mission soon.

It did show up in one or two of Octobot's posts but many people don't read them so separately mentioning something of high interest is a good idea.

News on the Nippon/Discovery mission will most likely hit the front page of this website right? I just don't want to miss it. :smile: I should probably follow Steve on facebook too.

Pinged Steve on this Danno - hopefully he'll share here... He reached out a few weeks ago and said he may be sticking his head back in soon- hoping so!

Please understand, as goes almost without saying, that there's a strong embargo on anything spectacular. I am sure, however, that TONMO will be amongst the very first to report, once said embargo gets lifted. For now, let's keep our fingers crossed and by all means do wear that set of underwear you did when Ku shot his first underwater stills....

Ooooooooooh. NDA's are rough. I am dealing with those right now on the new Godzilla movie. :smile:

I just want to know the special is still coming out. Nice reponses thank you.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back