[Featured]: Architeuthis (Giant Squid) Sightings

nice specimen, but i'm affraid by the deep fishing .... the good news, we will see more specimens, the very bad news : extinction of numerous deep species are in way ....

I was browsing YouTube and came across this vid:

I'm not an expert in any sense, but it looks almost identical to the couple pictures from years ago that showed young giant squid eating at the surface. I'm curious as to if it's actually a giant squid. If so, cool vid! Anything displaying their color is interesting to me

:welcome: That is a spectacular video! Doesn't look like Architeuthis at all, but it is certainly a deep water squid species, will need to dig in a bit, to see what might be claimed, as towards identity...

Well, certainly not unlikely...

230px-Asperoteuthis_acanthoderma.jpg

Welcome ocersm!

Since the sperm is stored for expected long periods, were the spermataphores examined to see if they were still viable for use in reproduction? This would seem to be an interesting thing to note but I have not seen it referenced.

:welcome: to our new record holder of time spent between registering and first post! :wink: Glad to have you on board. Excellent photograph of Architeuthis' radular cuticula, the chitinous teeth appear almost glasslike.

Hello guys,

Sorry forb the long delay in responding your questions.

@DWhatley - Unfortunately, the spermatophores were no examined for viable sperm for use. But the material was so decayed, and spent too much time in inappropriate conservation conditions that I don´t believe that it could have any viable spermatozoid left...

@OB - yep, that was a nice image. We made other shots too but the one in the paper was the best one

Cheers,

Rodrigo

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back