[Featured]: Architeuthis (Giant Squid) Sightings

The title seems misleading...it says "Giant no match for colossal cousin", but at the bottom, it says that giants are longer. Then it says that no male colossals are known to have been found, but didn't they say that this one was a male? Maybe I'm misreading the article...

Brock Fluharty;135564 said:
The title seems misleading...it says "Giant no match for colossal cousin", but at the bottom, it says that giants are longer. Then it says that no male colossals are known to have been found, but didn't they say that this one was a male? Maybe I'm misreading the article...

Help I can young skywalker.

Giant squid are longer mostly because of their two very long tentacles whereas Colossal squid are heavier and have a much boarder body..

No male Colossal squid have been found, this specimen is a Giant squid and is probably a male.

Helpful?

M:cyclops:

The reasons why only females are found is that they so far have been the only gender found interested in devouring hooked Patagonian Toothfish; they're all bycatch (not sure whether the trawled Russian Specimen of the early eighties was caught whilst fishing for toothfish). This anecdotal "evidence" suggests different diets and/or predation habits for male and female, maybe based on a marked size difference between the genders. I am relatively certain that studying antarctic sperm whale gut content might turn up a male or two, unless they are a lot faster or at a very different position in the water column until such time that the urge to procreate makes both genders meet at some stage.

There is some unpublished genetic data that (in my humble opin) points to a mass spawning event for A. dux. So maybe the males and females live completely separate lives?

Anybody know what ever happened to this one? Supposed to have been delivered to mark Norman...

r253979_1047741.jpg

The reason I'm asking is that this appears to have a ML close to 2,25 meters, the current "official" record... Could be perspective distortion, obviously, bringing it closer to 2 meters... I would just like to know for sure.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back