• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community, and birthplace of #WorldOctopusDay and #CephalopodAwarenessDays. Founded in 2000, we are a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up. You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and enjoy other perks. Follow us on Twitter for more cephy goodness.

Aquarium jobs

Strongbad

Hatchling
Registered
I didnt know where else to stick this question so I put it here, I thought someone around here might know or perhaps be able to point me in the right direction.
What type of degree would one need to work at either an aquarium or a place like Sea World. Not as an animal trainer but in some other capacity. At the risk of sounding sophomoric, in a position like Steve Erwin but at an aquarium taking care of animals and such.

Having actually taken a behind the scenes tour of the facilities at Sea World Orlando, I have asked this question a few times. The general consensus is a degree in some related biological science if you are planning in any way to work with animals. Marine biology/ zoology is a good start, but oceanography is also a good start.

Also, make sure you want to do this. Like I've told several people in the past, the sciences are hard paths to follow and require much sacrifice on your part. Is it worth it? Well, you decide.

Hope this helps!

John

cthulhu77

TONMO Supporter
Registered
Any general B.S. (bachelor of sciences, not the other one) degree will be fine to get you in the door...if you want to do something in the public relations end of things, like Irwin (hack, gag, I can barely say that name), you might want to get an associate's degree or minor in Theater or Journalism...both offer the same classes in how to hold yourself in front of a camera or audience...and are necessary !!!!

greg

I would look into marine biology. Oceanography is a broad subject which has many sections such as pysical, geological, biological, chemical.... but does not look into the life history of the animals as much. You could also do aquaculture/mariculture which would also be very useful. It all depends on what you want to do. The problem with marine biology is that it usually does not go into the keeping of marine fish/inverts. You usually have to take aquaculture/mariculture classes for that info.

cthulhu77

TONMO Supporter
Registered
MBG has a good point...if you want to work with the fish, you are going to want to have a good base degree in marine something or other...if you want to work with the public, like Irwin, you are going to want to pursue another degree...
greg

cthulhu77

TONMO Supporter
Registered
marinebio_guy said:
Yeah, If you look at the trainers/people doing the shows at sea world they are theatric or animal behavior majors.

I always thought that was the same thing !!! :lol:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjh1951

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak