• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community, and birthplace of #WorldOctopusDay and #CephalopodAwarenessDays. Founded in 2000, we are a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up. You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and enjoy other perks. Follow us on Twitter for more cephy goodness.

Almost Dead

pilotinho

Blue Ring
Registered
I came home to find Squirt laying against the overflow. I thought she was dead and picked her up but she was still barely alive. I put her in a seperate breeding net. She was the only thing in the tank besides the star and the shrimp and the water params are green. She won't eat. She seemed to revive a little. I don't know what is wrong. I don't think she will last the night.

sorry to hear that man that sucks best of luck with it though and hopefully shes just being a pain in the butt to get some attention

pilotinho

Blue Ring
Registered
She is Gone

:cry: Despite a week of constant worry and attention Squirt died last night. I could only think I did something wrong but I have no idea what. She ate well on the first night but then refused to eat and becam less and less active. Would a nitrate count of 20 do this? That was the worst it ever got Everything else was good, ammonia 0, nitrite, 0 PH 8.1, non-hostile tank mates, lots of places to hide, Specific Gravity 1026, water temp was 70F. What a crappy week.

:goodbye:

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
Sorry to hear about Squirt's passing. RIP Squirt. (We need an angel cuttlefish).

Nancy

Thales

Colossal Squid
Staff member
IME, 70 is too cold for bandensis.

What kind of fish did you have in there, and didn't you say it was startling the cuttle?

pilotinho

Blue Ring
Registered
Fish

I removed the fish days ago. I had no idea that 70F would kill a bandesis. I knew their metabolic rate was tied to temp but I thought it would make them live longer like Ocotos not kill them. Do you think that is what caused it?

70 is rather low...my tank temp dips to 72 once in a blue moon, but it doesnt stay long...If your water parameters showed ok, the temperature would be my guess. Ive also had a couple die not long after acclimating into mytank while..10 others did fine, so you never know...

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
So, what temperature do those of you who are keeping bandensis successfully recommend?

Nancy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PmZkilla

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak