Ahhhhhh! Disaster!

joel_ang

Architeuthis
Registered
That's terrible but I do hope both your octos turn out fine. Could you have requested for more heat packs? Try e-mailing the guys about what happened and see what they have to say.

Colin--Like Spring, the water my bimac came in was light grey, so I assumed there was ink in the water. That's one of the reasons I wanted to get it out so fast. I took a chance, I know.

Joel_ang--Yes, I've already e-mailed FishSupply.com about the incident. I just wanted to be on record with them regarding the poor shipping conditions, just in case things don't work out.

Update 10:32am Sat --

Well, last night my bimac started moving some, and even deliberately went over to a baby clam, grabbed it, and started eating it (although I couldn't see a whole lot under the octo). I went to bed a 1am and hoped for the best.

I woke up this morning, and it was still alive (whew!). I saw an open, cleaned-out clam shell too. Good sign. Looks like it is going to make it. I have to admit, after reading about octos for the past month, I thought they were the most fragile thing in the ocean. I'm starting to think that maybe they're fairly tough.

My favorite part so far is how awesome it is when they "pulse" a different color through their system. Chromataphores (sp?), I believe? Absolutely fascinating. When I get close, it turns almost black instantly. Then it chills out and turns light brown again. :biggrin2:

Spring, how's your octo??

Spring

O. vulgaris
Registered
Crevalle, I finally found my baby late this afternoon. He's hiding out under the ledge of a big rock. There is also an empty crab shell there too! So glad to here yours is doing ok. Does anyone know how many little hermits I should feed it a day? :?:

Spring :smile:

joel_ang

Architeuthis
Registered
There really is no standard on how much to feed an octo, It also depends on the size of the octo. I fed my cephs 4 1 inch shrimps a day when it was about 2 inch mantle length.