• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Why can't octopus live in freshwater????

:cyclops: Hello! I was wondering why octopus can't live in freshwater?? How about if octopus eggs were raised in freshwater... would they be able to survive when hatched??? I also believe that if tanks were designed with the glass having rocky surface would help a squid from bumping into the glass and dieing.
flipflop_2k[/b]

An octopus can't live in freshwater because it's a saltwater creature - it has evolved to live in sea water which has a much higher salinity than freshwater. Very few animals can adapt from one to the other.

There are no freshwater octopuses.

Nancy

We've discussed this before, in other threads...and still have no solution...there are freshwater snails, shrimps, all kinds of inverts...yet no cephs...why?

heh, maybe there are, we just haven't found them yet. Remember, many cephs can change their skin color, and it would be pretty hard to find anything in a murky river bottom.
I would say our best bet would be some sort of cuttlefish in a deep lake enviroment.

All I know its due to osmosis, terribly sorry but eggs would also encounter the same problem as an octo.

I'm not sure if I interpreted the question correctly but, a tank with a rocky surface it actually more dangerous. as rocky surfaces are rough, it could hurt a ceph's delicate skin if it gets bumped into.

Re: Why can't octopus live in freshwater????

flipflop_2k said:
I also believe that if tanks were designed with the glass having rocky surface would help a squid from bumping into the glass and dieing.
flipflop_2k[/b]

Sorry FF, but we've had squid in tanks with rocks and they do just crash into them. It kinda makes sense. They all swim backwards and the majority are open ocean animals living in the water column where there ain't no rocks! They are just not designed for that type of confined space. I think plain cylindrical (& large when compared to the squid) are the best best. Steve O certainly has had some success (more than he can handle I think :smile:!) with Sepiotuethis in tanks like this. (Check out the Octo data base)

J

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back