• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community. Founded in 2000, we have built a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up - it's free! You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and gain access to our Supporters forum. Follow us on Twitter and Facebook for more cephy goodness.

Whats this fossil?

Syn

Hatchling
Registered
Hey ive had this rock for a long time, found it in Canada, the fossil part was inwards towards the ground, it has two specific images, one looks like a rocket with all colours and the other actualy has indents like a fossil. problem is i dont have a digi cam so i had to webcam pic it. if anyone can set me in the right direction to finising out what kind of fossil this is, i would apprectiate, thanks a lot!

Attachments

Phil

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
Hi,

Welcome to the site. Both look like nautiloids to me, I'm fairly sure the cresent shapes are the chambers in the shell.

erich orser

TONMO Supporter
Registered
I almost posted about this an hour ago, but being the layman I am, I figured it'd be more prudent to let Phil or Kevin post about this first.

fossilkid25

Blue Ring
Registered
Hey Guys
I found the same kind of fossil at a local gravel quarry and was wondering if it could be a belemnite. Is it possible for a belemnite to look like the fossil in Syns picture ?

Architeuthoceras

Architeuthis
Staff member
fossilkid25;79371 said:
Is it possible for a belemnite to look like the fossil in Syns picture ?
Yes,

If the phragmocone was preserved it would look like the chambers in an orthocone, the guard would look like a solid cone. I think the shell tapers more on belemnite phragmocones than on orthoconic shells.

fossilkid25

Blue Ring
Registered
Hey
no not the phragmocone sorry i mean the bit above that. the part i mean is the guard. is it possible to get chambers in that part of the belemnite ? and im talking about if its a cretaceous belemnite or a jurassic as the fossil i have is derived in the gravels so it could be from either age.

Phil

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
No, the phragmocone locked into the guard, but the guard (rostrum) was not chambered at all and was composed of calcite crystals growing in a radial pattern. I'm afraid a sectioned rostrum would look totally dissimilar.

Why not post a picture of your fossil here and we can have a look at it?

fossilkid25

Blue Ring
Registered
Hey Phil
I have no clue on how to post a picture on this forum. Can i e-mail it to you ? plus give me a few days or a couple of weeks as im really busy with collage. I will try and get a picture to you asoon as i can.

Phil

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
Uploading a picture is easy Fossilkid. Just write a post as normal then click on 'Go Advanced' under the text box. Then click on 'Manage Attachments' and upload it directly from the file it is stored in from your computer. Easy.

Failing that, please just drop me a pm.

fossilkid25

Blue Ring
Registered
Hey Phil
ok thats easy now that i know where to go lol. Plus i wont be able to post a pic for like a few weeks as i have alot of collage wor and dont think i will even have time to reply anymore for a little while.

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AuroraVK

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak