What Octo do i have???

Colin

TONMO Supporter
Registered
i'd be keen to say briareus too, certainly not a blue ring anyway

dbbga

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
Those pics sure look like Jetta :frown: I would say a Briareus as well and as far as webbing she did not have webbing until i put the lobster in the tank :wink:

New Pics

Here are some new pictures of the Octopus, I still going to go with Briareus.

I have another question. How long does it take to get copper out of a 75 gallon tank? I added it a week ago to sure a fish. I did a 50% water change today and i added activated carbon and a copper sponge that is supposed to absorb it all. I should say how long would you wait before adding an octopus?

Thanx,
Ryan Satow

corw314

Colossal Squid
Staff member
I'm not sure you can ever safely add an octopus to a tank that has been treated with copper. It gets into the silicone, rock and everything and even a miniscule amount of copper is fatal.

Great pictures!! I like the orange around the eyes. What kind of camera? Are you using a flash? I found my octopuses tolerated the camera better when I didn't blind them!!!

Carol

copper

there's no way im about to drain all that water first of all, and second of all theirs no way im gonna trust a silicon job by me. Thats all i need is 80 gallons of salt water all over my second story. You really dont think their is any other way? i have two crabs, and a shrimp that have been living in their even when the copper was added. Is their any in expensive test invertebrate i could test the tank with first to make sure???

Alicia

Blue Ring
Registered
Those blue spots sure look cool! (At first I was concerned that your "spots" may have been rings.) I can't remember what size you stated she was but I do know that out of the Caribbean there are at least 2 dwarf Octopus that are sometimes collected that many suppliers, scientists, etc. (even public aquarium suppliers and biologists) can not identify. You may have one of those.

As for copper there's no way to possibly rid your tank completely. Once copper is added something in the molecular make-up bonds with the glass walls (and everything else) of the aquarium. You can deplete the copper but never fully rid a tank of it. Granted, maybe Octopus can withstand some copper but I don't know how much. If you want a ceph, of any sort, to be best off I'd start with a new tank (or a tank that has never had copper added to it).

Latest Posts