vulgaris home size

mosthated

GPO
Registered
Would a 430gl 8x3x3 tank be large enough for a vulgaris's full life span? My DIY tank is nearing a end, and the original plan was to house a arowana in there, but i dont know.. i am having second thoughts on this freshwater planted tank stuff i have a 75planted and it gets a little boring to me.. very pretty, (when i cut it) lol ... anyways thanks for any help.
And i am open to suggestions as well! what would you do with 430gl tank?
here is the link to the build incase anyone wants to see what i got so far.
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92570

Inception7

Blue Ring
Registered
I am by no means an expert, but I've been told that a 200 gallon is about minimum for this octopus... so 400 would be fine. I know what you mean about the planted, I had a 60 gallon full of plants and they grew so fast it was coming out of the tank all over. I've kept sps/lps reef (which is nice but expensive), a big aggressive tank with triggers/puffers or a species tank. I would try and get a diurnal octo and see if that entertains you enough. This is what I am doing with my tank.

mosthated

GPO
Registered
a large cuttle like officinalis would be cool, what would you feed it? wouldnt it need larger size fish for food?

monty

TONMO Supporter
Staff member
Registered
At TONMOcon I, Dr. Gilly fed their adult Officinalis a crab about 3-4 inches across. It looked like it could have handled one considerably bigger.

mosthated

GPO
Registered
same ol same ol i guess lol.. maybe i had a brain fart.. i will be imaging what i want to do i still got a way to go..
1)floor bracing
2)lid
3)fill it
4)cycle it
5)who knows what

I vote S. officinalis, they are really cool, have a great personality, and don't escape. The thought of a really big octopus climbing out of the tank in the middle of the night sort of scares me :shock:.

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
I am glad you posted an update on the monster tank. Since you haven't posted in awhile, I did a quick look on your forum but failed to find the thread. From the start, I have worried about cleaning and leaks with this project and a large cuttle could be moved to a rubbermaid tub if you had to make emergency repairs, an octo would be a much more difficult consideration. I would also think that cleaning the tank would be very difficult with an octo in residence.