• Welcome to TONMO, a community of cephalopod experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts. Established in 2000, we are the founders of TONMOCON, and birthplace of World Octopus Day and Cephalopod Awareness Days. ...You can register here, and Introduce Yourself. To rid yourself of ads and enjoy other perks, become a Supporter for just $50/year. (Now accepting bitcoin & other crypto!) ...Follow us on Twitter and YouTube for more cephy goodness.
  • Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

this sound like a good setup for a 75 gallon tank?

Mike D

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
i am interested in setting up my 75 gallon tank as an octopus tank.

i am planning on using 80 pound of live sand as a substrate and adding 60+ pounds of live rock for him to hide in..
and for filtration i am thinking about using two Fluval Canister Filters, a Model 404(rated for 100 gallons) and a Model 304(rated for 70 gallons) i have heard that alot of filtration is a good thing :smile:
a Marineland SeaClone 150 Protein Skimmer rated for 150 gallons.
and 2 powerheads to create water movement..

im not sure if that is everything. if not could you please tell me what else i need. and if that is everything does that sound like a good setup?

also i am buying my own r/o unit for i can just get the water from my tap when ever i need it..

cthulhu77

TONMO Supporter
Registered
Wow, it seems like a great setup ! You may not need two powerheads...see if the octo is bothered by too much movement (what size are they?)...other than that, it should make a very happy octo home !!! Be sure to enter it into the tank database, and send in some pics...
greg

Mike D

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
i dont have it set up yet buy once it is i will post up some pics... it will probably be a month or two. as right now i am building a new cage for my iguana..

DHyslop

Architeuthis
Registered
Some people really don't like the SeaClone skimmers, but others think they're fine--you might want to shop around a bit and see particular complaints/opinions on the various aquarium message boards out there.

It sounds like a great setup, though--I'm sure a bimac would be very happy in it. I have a similar system--75 gallon tank with a 150-gallon rated skimmer, except I have it in a sump where I have a few big clumps of various macroalgaes over a deep sand bed instead of a canister.

Dan