• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

[Featured]: Tankmates - What Works and What Doesn't

All great info. I wanted to add a couple things to the ok list. Well at least they were ok for me. I kept several brain and maze corals which Tranny touched all the time and had no issues with. I also had a large mat of Green star polyps that were touched with out issue. I also had several pieces of monti cap corals that he liked because it created a shelve for him to hide under. I did have some palys that he touched and quickly pulled away from so they were a big No and I removed them. Lots of leathers Xenia kenia trees. I also had no issue with frog spawn and hammers but I would not even try a torch because they sting much harder. I kept a few different Leptos with no issue. I also had multiple montis that he touched. I kind of think it goes by if it is a coral that will have coral warfare with another coral then it would be a stinging coral but i could be wrong. The other thing I want to mention is Tranny is a O.Briareus which live around coral reefs in the wild and might not be bothered by some of the coral stings like other Octopus. I had posted some Vids in the past that showed my system and it was pretty full of corals and tranny lived a long happy life in it. Just my 2 cents

On the known successful list to be kept with an octopus- are any of those recommended for a beginner aquarist. Basically what I'm planning is to start on hardier species with my marine tank before I get an octopus. Allowing for the learning process. If there is a species that I can get that I can keep down the road when I get my octo that'd be great.
Suggestions?

I really like keeping the red brittle stars. Most of the brittles are pretty nocturnal and reclusive but the red (more of an orange) will occasionally come out during the day. Most can learn to be hand fed. Brittles are very resilient and I have kept a number of the red for several years through multiple octopuses. Any of the serpents or brittles on this page would be a good addition (NOT the basket or regular starfish and especially not the Bahama star) and I have successfully kept all but the Bahama from this supplier. Mushrooms (but not Ricordeas) tend to be hardy, give a little color and are octo safe. Small crabs are nice but will become octo dinner. It is easy enough to get attached to some of them (don't ask me about the 3 blue crabs I have raised that were supposed to be octo food :roll:).

I strongly recommend NOT adding fish as you grow the tank. Many people start with the very hardy damsels but they tend to pick on and stress octopuses (I am opposed to trying to keep octos with ANY fish) and are almost impossible to remove from a tank without totally tearing up the layout.

I really like keeping the red brittle stars. Most of the brittles are pretty nocturnal and reclusive but the red (more of an orange) will occasionally come out during the day. Most can learn to be hand fed. Brittles are very resilient and I have kept a number of the red for several years through multiple octopuses. Any of the serpents or brittles on this page would be a good addition (NOT the basket or regular starfish and especially not the Bahama star) and I have successfully kept all but the Bahama from this supplier. Mushrooms (but not Ricordeas) tend to be hardy, give a little color and are octo safe. Small crabs are nice but will become octo dinner. It is easy enough to get attached to some of them (don't ask me about the 3 blue crabs I have raised that were supposed to be octo food :roll:).

I strongly recommend NOT adding fish as you grow the tank. Many people start with the very hardy damsels but they tend to pick on and stress octopuses (I am opposed to trying to keep octos with ANY fish) and are almost impossible to remove from a tank without totally tearing up the layout.
This is great! I'm excited to learn I can keep a starfish with them and the mushrooms will be great for color.
I don't have my tank yet but plan to start that step come late April. (I'm working on the education side first for a bit as with winter weather its too hard to do much until spring comes) I plan to do the proper letting it sit with live rock and water for 3 months I believe the recommended time was. Then to add a few critters- basically the starfish and hopefully mushrooms and a few crabs. Would you recommend anything else or will that be enough for the next step in learning- IE the hands on learning to read and maintain the tank. Wanting to do this right.
Glad you pointed out the fish issue of trying to catch them as my saltwater store was saying to use fish. I was wondering over the catching aspect of being troublesome. Went through it once with a surprise Bristlenose pleco who snuck into my freshwater tank on a large driftwood piece and started breeding with my male. Catching the buggers was a pain.
Haha- now I can't help but want to ask about these mentioned blue crabs :wink: sounds like something I would do.

LOL, currently I have no cephalopods in residence. I do, however, have Hannibal one of two baby crabs that were meant to be food for the last octo. From the name, you can guess what happened to the other crab. Hannibal is the second baby crab I have raised and is close to the end his lifespan (about 2 years). Like Fred (the prior blue), I will remove and freeze his claws when he expires so that at least part of him will still serve his original purpose.

LOL, currently I have no cephalopods in residence. I do, however, have Hannibal one of two baby crabs that were meant to be food for the last octo. From the name, you can guess what happened to the other crab. Hannibal is the second baby crab I have raised and is close to the end his lifespan (about 2 years). Like Fred (the prior blue), I will remove and freeze his claws when he expires so that at least part of him will still serve his original purpose.
Haha! That is funny. Totally can see that happening. Perfect name for him.

Is there a lists anywhere of suggested inhabitants you can have with a cuttlefish?
Is it pretty much the same as an octopus?
I was wondering if the serpent starfish is a no go for cuttlefish? I know they are fine with octopus.

IMO, no fish should be put into an octopus tank. They don't often eat fish as their main diet is crustacean. Observations have seen them kill annoying, pesky fish and then eating some of the belly but leaving most of the animal. Herbivores would likely leave the octo alone but, if not killed, might defend territory and be aggressive. Meat eaters will pester the octopus at meal time and can cause skin or eye damage.

IMO, no fish should be put into an octopus tank. They don't often eat fish as their main diet is crustacean. Observations have seen them kill annoying, pesky fish and then eating some of the belly but leaving most of the animal. Herbivores would likely leave the octo alone but, if not killed, might defend territory and be aggressive. Meat eaters will pester the octopus at meal time and can cause skin or eye damage.

Thanks, that is a super helpful explanation . I have a mixed reef tank so I will stick to an octopus only tank when I finally get there.

I live is Southern California, and Are used to (legally) catch and keep my own bimac octopus, their tank mates, and some of their food. I learned the hard way not to put a Chestnut Cowry (snail) with an octopus. I assumed they would be tankmates for a while, and then the cowry would be food, but it had other ideas. It turns out that chestnut cowrys have a defense mechanism where, when threatened, they can convert water into thick slime. There was about a quart of gelatinous slime clogging my overflow. Who knew.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back