Steve swamped and offline until further notice, sorry

Magical conference Jean (NZMSS); a credit to those who put so much time and effort into seeing it through to fruition. CIAC 2006 will be a stunner also, and it's something I look forward to (and with 6 papers being presented I think that AUT will fair well - depends on which are selected [a neat online submission form that they had]).

I'll finally present the juvenile Architeuthis manuscript, and that looking at the systematics of the Pholidoteuthidae; Kat is talking about her onychoteuthid research (in addition to pholidoteuthid work, in conjunction with George J); Felipe and Emma their research on forced temporal shifts in the diet of sperm and pygmy sperm whale's; and Jason his research on squid culture. Not to be missed. It's the afterhours functions that I most look forward to - the catching up with folk I haven't seen for a while.

Re me, well, there have been some major changes here at AUT, and as of 14 October I'll be acting as Director of the research institute (marine, postgrad), through until Jan 2007 at least. To most online this will not mean much - in fact you'd have to be within the system to appreciate it - but all that I can say is that there will be some huge changes afoot, hopefully positive. Change doesn't come without upsetting a few, so there'll also be a few that are not too happy about a few changes ... but sh*t happens. Lady TTF, aka :twisted: , will be looked after, that's for sure ... but ONLY if my Neil D poster finds its way safely back to Gods own (NZ). I've got a big new wall to hang it on Kat!!

The downside is that I'll be online even less. It's been a hard 9 months already; hopefully things will improve; but I am worried that I'm losing creativity, spontaneity, and my hair (and sanity). You are in good hands with :twisted: , but I can only check things out once a day, on a good day.

It's about time we had another sensational press release don't you think? We've got something up our sleeves.

Steve O'Shea said:
It's about time we had another sensational press release don't you think? We've got something up our sleeves.

ooh ohh What? What's this? Pleeeeease Tell us!

...and congratulations on your new position Doctor.

Yeah it was a shame I had to miss NZMSS but the money only stretches so far! Still looking forward to CIAC :smile: I've put in to talk about my Arrow aging (including the gladius growth reconstruction........not a recommended hobby :bonk: ). The online submission form was great but yours truly didn't read it properly and forgot to take note of her accession number ........sigh :oops: and had to send a grovelly email to the organisers to get it (cos I hadn't managed to upload the actual abstract only my name, addy etc) oh well all is sorted now........just waiting for the powers that be to decide if I get to spout my words of wisdom or not!

Cheers

J

Steve O'Shea said:
Top Ten Things Steve, Kat et al might have up their sleeves:

10. Kittens that Steve rescued from a rapidly submerging burlap sack and trained to sing "Nearer My God To Thee."
9. Steve O'Shea: Lord of the Dance.
8. Kat shaved her head and found horns, plus a map to Narnia.
7. Matt's first name is actually Mick.
6. Pierre's first name is actually Klaus.
5. Steve's ceramic peanut controls the weather, sometimes.
4. Giant squid? Gay as the dawn.
3. Colossal squid? Pretty lame, actually.
2. Terateuthis rex.
1. Neilcam.

Clem

Clem said:
Top Ten Things Steve, Kat et al might have up their sleeves:

10. Kittens that Steve rescued from a rapidly submerging burlap sack and trained to sing "Nearer My God To Thee."
9. Steve O'Shea: Lord of the Dance.
8. Kat shaved her head and found horns, plus a map to Narnia.
7. Matt's first name is actually Mick.
6. Pierre's first name is actually Klaus.
5. Steve's ceramic peanut controls the weather, sometimes.
4. Giant squid? Gay as the dawn.
3. Colossal squid? Pretty lame, actually.
2. Terateuthis rex.
1. Neilcam.

Clem

10. Eerily close to the truth. :goofysca:
9. This is no secret, here on campus anyway.
8. :twisted:
7&6. Couldn't possibly comment. :roll:
5. Haven't seen it in a while... then again, haven't had any weather, either. Hmm.
4. As observed here.
3. Still wouldn't swim with them.
2. Wasn't he last seen munching carrots with Adam & Eve?
1. [shudder]

You lot are just so mean!!

There are now two bits of news. One that will blow your socks off (and doesn't involve us, although we know about it), and the second (that does involve us) that's almost as cool.

Steve O'Shea said:
You lot are just so mean!!

There are now two bits of news. One that will blow your socks off (and doesn't involve us, although we know about it), and the second (that does involve us) that's almost as cool.

come on good fellow, get it off your chest. You'll feel so much better if you tell us now....

Indeed I would, but you should know me by now .... the suspense kills me too, but we have to play this game. Rules suck, but a rule is a rule, and to break it means a loss of confidence. All I will say, to build suspense, is don't leave your seat ....:twisted:

Steve O'Shea said:
Indeed I would, but you should know me by now .... the suspense kills me too, but we have to play this game. Rules suck, but a rule is a rule, and to break it means a loss of confidence. All I will say, to build suspense, is don't leave your seat ....:twisted:

Wow! Cryptic to the max!:shock:

I'm slowing my tea intake (no small feat) so I won't need a 'comfort break' for a few hours.

:roflmao:

You can take your time with your tea. We 're talking evolutionary time here ... as in days, and possibly even a week or so. Enough time for 12 species to speciate, by cladogenesis that is; by anagenesis it might take a little longer ...:cool2:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back