• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Squids exhibit

I totally agree, Cuddlycuttlefish, it is the dream of our lab manager and myself to have a school of squid in our biggest tank, not so keen on trying to keep them fed though! :biggrin2: We could maybe toss in a few sacrificial students :twisted: :lol:

I can translate the important bits :smile:

Adapting squids is complicated. Their natural habitat includes wide open extensions, which makes it hard to display a large number of specimens. They also prefer dim lights, raising towards the surface from dusk till dawn.

This new success begun when the aquarium staff captured several small squids in Cambados (Pontevedra). With time, they were acclimated in the technical area where they grew quickly. Some of the have surpassed 30 cm, and when captured they were 10 - 12 cm on average. Now they are in the large cylinder tank in the Maremagnum Room, which contained a colony of cuttlefish or tide pool species in other seasons.

So, dim lights and a circular tank, it seems. I could try to poke a couple of contacts for more details.

Jean;193051 said:
I totally agree, Cuddlycuttlefish, it is the dream of our lab manager and myself to have a school of squid in our biggest tank, not so keen on trying to keep them fed though! :biggrin2: We could maybe toss in a few sacrificial students :twisted: :lol:
Best laugh I've had all day.
:roflmao:

I have a few questions in mind.....
Were the walls made from glass or acrylic, if not, what material?
And does the behavior of vertical migration demand an increase in the height of a tank?

Cuddlycuttlefsh;193087 said:
I have a few questions in mind.....
Were the walls made from glass or acrylic, if not, what material?
And does the behavior of vertical migration demand an increase in the height of a tank?

I can't promise anything, but I'm trying to lure someone from the Aquarium to come here :smile:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back