• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Squid ?'s

Hi I'm 14 years old and have kept an octopus (not sure what type because it was a bali shipment, a sepia bandensis and i've caught some squid eggs and hatched them in a bucket with an airstone and let them go after a few feedings of some amphipods. Do you think i'm over my head if i collect some more eggs while scuba diving and keep them in a circular 200 gallon polythylene tank. I'm about 20 minutes from boston so i can collect my own food or order online. the squid i'm looking for reach a maximum size of a foot. Is this a big enough tank.:archi:

Could be a bit tough! squid can be hard to keep! they need mega quantities of food and turn cannibal easily! what sort of squid? some of the inshore ones might be OK. One problem you'll have (apart from having to feed them live food every few hours, and amphipods won't do for long) is that you can't have a bubbler in the tank. Bubbles are fatal and you'll need to keep the tank and it's water absolutely clean, which means a filter, a big one.

I don't want to sound too discouraging, but you may be biting of more than you can chew. It's mainly research institutes that keep squid and only a very few of them.

Cheers

Jean

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back