• Welcome to TONMO, a community of cephalopod experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts. Established in 2000, we are the founders of TONMOCON, and birthplace of World Octopus Day and Cephalopod Awareness Days. ...You can register here, and Introduce Yourself. To rid yourself of ads and enjoy other perks, become a Supporter for just $25/year. (Now accepting bitcoin & other crypto!) ...Follow us on Twitter and YouTube for more cephy goodness.
  • Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

skimmer problems

I have a seaclone skimmer and it works just fine. I must admit it took awhile to figure out how to fine tune it though. I use sight, sound, and feel to find it's "sweet spot" and get it every time. Just yesterday, Ocho had ditched a piece of uneaten shrimp in the back of the tank. I didn't see it until I came home from work. The collection cup went from practically empty in the early morning to this in the afternoon:

Attachments

• conv_290414.jpg
    conv_290414.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 65

91lxstang

GPO
Registered
mine looks like that pic but maybe a tad bit more clear water..... so should i adjust for even less water flow? so open the valve up some more or close it some more?

91lxstang

GPO
Registered
one thing i noticed was that there are little air bubbles on all of my plastic plants and on the back glass where the algae grows. I know its workin to some extent though because my water went from being slightly cloudy (only barely) to CRYSTAL clear. I cant beleive how clear the water is now. It makes the colors in the tank look sooo much better

One of the easiest ways to get the "sweet spot" if you haven't already is to start out with the skimmer freshly cleaned. After it's put back together, I start it with the valve all the way closed so its all water going through. Then I open it about 3 or 4 turns to really open up the air valve. On the "U" shaped piece of plastic coming out of the powerhead going down to the skimmer, right on the 'U" part there is usually a gap of air if the valve is open enough. I start turning clockwise just until that pocket of air disappears and that is usually the sweet spot. If the skimmer has been running awhile and not cleaned recently, you might not see that pocket of air. That's when I go by the sound that the powerhead makes of the air going through it and the feel of vibration to find it cause I've done it so many times.

Colin

TONMO Supporter
Registered
I used a seaclone for a while a few years back, one wee tip is to throw away the plastic valve that controls the air flow and get a good metal one as sold in some LFS for airlines etc. They are of a much better quality and easier to control as a result

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
The stuff that is making the water brown is what you want but ultimately, you should see it cake with a thin "mud" and very little water. Try cutting back the flow a tiny bit and check again tomorrow for only bubbles in the cup. DON'T adjust multiple times in one day once you are "close". The cup should need cleaning about once a week and should not look like it will overflow.

Some skimmers are more picky about the water height than others so always check and adjust at the same water level (usually check mine in the evening but top off in the mornings).

Latest Forum Posts