• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community, and birthplace of #WorldOctopusDay and #CephalopodAwarenessDays. Founded in 2000, we are a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up. You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and enjoy other perks. Follow us on Twitter for more cephy goodness.

Setting up my first Octo tank

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Yes, I suspect that will be a better den or at least hiding place when it wants to be hidden. You might also add a few rock frags 1/4 to 1/2 the size of the pipe openings so that the octopus can make a door. Most of the animals I have kept prefer a cave with two openings (like your pipe) but O. mercatoris seems to prefer only one.

TheBricks

Cuttlefish
Registered
20170318_145412.jpg
20170318_145312.jpg
20170318_145301.jpg
20170318_145329.jpg

Upgrade my cave work. Is it okay to have a light on just the right side and leave the left all shadowy? I was thinking pride rock with a beam of sunlight but the elephant graveyard dark and gloomy. And then a red light at night or whatever?

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Cephs don't need tank lighting but without it, we can't see our critters as well and photography becomes difficult (flash not recommended). You could have a successful octopus tank with just your room ambient lights so having only part of the tank highlighted is likely to be a plus, not a minus (and will help some with nuisance algae). That being said, if you intend on putting any kind of soft coral in the tank, you will need enough light to allow it to feed and will need to place it under the lights.

How are you securing your rock around the pipe? In general, this amount and size of rock is not a danger to an octopus but, if it is not secured (and sometimes if it is), it may get disassembled by the octopus. My tanks have been "rearranged" many times :biggrin2:

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
A note of caution about blue lighting. There does not seem to be any negatives about blue for daytime light but it is thought that blue may be seen as a brighter light than even white and is (without tested analysis) suggested not to be used as night lighting (ie "moon" lights). If you want to light the tank at night, red light is thought to be seen as no light and has been used very successfully to observe nocturnal behavior. Do note, however, it is miserable for photography.

TheBricks

Cuttlefish
Registered
The big pieces towards the front are drilled with pvc running through. The pieces in the back are stacked on top of his pvc tunnel. If he rearranges things the worst thing that can happen is some pipe becomes visible. I also have a couple small pieces picked out for his door but I figure he will select them on his own if I leave them nearby.

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
grantbey

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak