• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community, and birthplace of #WorldOctopusDay and #CephalopodAwarenessDays. Founded in 2000, we are a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up. You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and enjoy other perks. Follow us on Twitter for more cephy goodness.

Sepia officinalis w/ cloudy eyes

What can I do? :confused:
one got it in one eye after being moved to a temp tank, then it spread to the other eye, and now to the other cuttlefish in the tank. :cry:

Not familiar with a specific illness that causes eyes to cloud, but perhaps you should test your water. Maybe this is what occurs with excess ammonia or nitrates.

Jean

Colossal Squid
Registered
could also be bacterial. If the tank water is OK you might try adding some tetracycline to the water.

J

gjbarord

Sepia elegans
Staff member
Eye problems

Without knowing all of the details there are a few possibilities. If the cuttlefish are getting old then the cloudiness of the eye is quite common and irreversible, kinda of like senescence in octopods. I have also observed eye problems in cuttlefish tanks with high levels of nitrate. Now either of these two possibilities can lead to bacterial infection and the contamination of other cuttlefish but the other cuttlefish in the tank must have been maintaining internal problems that manifested itself once the first cuttlefish showed couldiness in the eyes.
The move could have also placed additional stress that allowed the infection to expand to vision. The eyes may have been the first observed symptom of a problem but I believe that an internal infection must have been going on. With vision being such an important part of the cuttlefish livelihood, the immune system would protect that part of the body before other parts. That is just a theory that I have but the same sort of thing can be seen in many other animals.

Greg

Interesting first post. :welcome: gjbarord. There will be some people who won't read this thread, so why don't you go to the introduce yourself thread and tell us a bit about yourself? Sounds like you have some experience.

monty

TONMO Supporter
Staff member
Registered
sorseress;94678 said:
Interesting first post. :welcome: gjbarord. There will be some people who won't read this thread, so why don't you go to the introduce yourself thread and tell us a bit about yourself? Sounds like you have some experience.

:welcome: indeed. My creepy google-stalker skills actually show that
he's marinebio_guy's coauthor on the Nautilus article in the new TFH (which I still haven't found a copy of, grrr.)

As an interesting side-note, I'd like to point out gjbarord's first post as one that exhibits very good academic writing skills. I had no doubt that this was someone who was experienced, knowledgeable, and informed from just this one post.

Greg, what can I tell you about Greg :roll:, He went to school with me and worked with me at the NRCC and still currently works there and also at the Aquarium at Moody Gardens. His work right now is with nautilus and cuttlefish, but he could tell you more.

Sato

Hatchling
Registered
Back to the question at hand. Provided it is not from aging and it is bacterial, how would one go about treating it? Could a general anti-biotic simply be applied to food, or would it be more effective to simply treat the water as a whole? I would imagine the former would probably be more effective, but I have little experience when it comes to medicating cuttlefish.

gjbarord

Sepia elegans
Staff member
First of all, the problem would seem to be bacterial due to aging. Aging itself does not cause cloudy eyes, etc. The two go hand in hand... But I digress. The probability of bacterial agents focusing only on the ocular region in cuttlefish is low but if this is the case I would recommend a bath rather than oral medication. The main obstacle during bath treatments is providing an appropriate quarantine tank. More often than not the cuttlefish will jet into the side of the quarantine tank once released. This appears to be a reaction to the antibiotic in use. Very soon, though, the cuttlefish will calm down and remain still for the duration. Baths are performed for about one hour, depending on the dosage.

What type of antibiotic are you thinking of using?

Greg

Sato

Hatchling
Registered
I would most likely use Baytril, however im not sure on the dosage I would use for a bath with Baytril.

Is there a better choice? I have used Baytril with several other animals with good results, however they were almost exclusively fish so I am not sure how the cuttle would react to it.

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OctoLover35

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak