• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community, and birthplace of #WorldOctopusDay and #CephalopodAwarenessDays. Founded in 2000, we are a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up. You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and enjoy other perks. Follow us on Twitter for more cephy goodness.

seeking an octopus

sdubler

Hatchling
Registered
Hi all! I have a 1,000 gallon new aquarium that I am seeking an octopus for. I am not looking for a small species like dwarf(s), pygmy(s), or caribbean reef octopus(es), I am looking for a larger species, whether a GPO or smaller, such as the maori or the maya, etc. Does anybody know where I could find one? Unfortunately, I’m not willing to go out diving and retrieve one myself.
sdubler

dleo4590

O. vulgaris
Registered
Hi all! I have a 1,000 gallon new aquarium that I am seeking an octopus for. I am not looking for a small species like dwarf(s), pygmy(s), or caribbean reef octopus(es), I am looking for a larger species, whether a GPO or smaller, such as the maori or the maya, etc. Does anybody know where I could find one? Unfortunately, I’m not willing to go out diving and retrieve one myself.
sdubler
Have you had an octopus before?

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
I believe so but they contact and ask. When they first started up, yes but that may have changed.

sdubler

Hatchling
Registered
I believe so but they contact and ask. When they first started up, yes but that may have changed.
Do you or anyone else know if they still do? I tried calling a little while ago, (because it is 2 pm there) nobody answered. I will try again tomorrow and keep everyone updated if they get back. Do they have an email address where I could reach them?

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
I am afraid you will not be able to contact them until after this mess slows down. Note this statement in their upper right hand corner,

"Due to a new state-wide mandate for COVID-19 —farm tours will be cancelled until May 1st. Reservations for the month of April will be refunded. Booking is currently available for tours after April 31st. "

but here is the posted contact info,

"Kanaloa Octopus Farm is located on the Big Island of Hawai'i, behind the Kona International Airport, in the Hawai'i Ocean Science and Technology Park.

73-970 Makako Bay Dr, Kailua-Kona,
HI 96740 / [email protected]

sdubler

Hatchling
Registered
I am afraid you will not be able to contact them until after this mess slows down. Note this statement in their upper right hand corner,

"Due to a new state-wide mandate for COVID-19 —farm tours will be cancelled until May 1st. Reservations for the month of April will be refunded. Booking is currently available for tours after April 31st. "

but here is the posted contact info,

"Kanaloa Octopus Farm is located on the Big Island of Hawai'i, behind the Kona International Airport, in the Hawai'i Ocean Science and Technology Park.

73-970 Makako Bay Dr, Kailua-Kona,
HI 96740 / [email protected]
Any ideas of what I should say and include in the email?

dleo4590

O. vulgaris
Registered
That's why I asked if you'd had a cephalopod before. If you haven't they may not be as willing to sell to someone who hasn't had one and I know you have a big tank and all but if you're new to owning I would start off small. Even the small ones are quite powerful and their bite would be less painful or not as significant as one the size you're looking for...all octopus have venom too but nothing like the blue ring. Just so you are aware.

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Guillermo Oro Marcos

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak