• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community. Founded in 2000, we have built a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up - it's free! You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and gain access to our Supporters forum. Follow us on Twitter and Facebook for more cephy goodness.

[Octopus]: Priscilla - O. Mercatoris She's Here!!!

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
She may also hide inside a rock so be careful if you move them around. If she is in a crevice, moving the whole rock may still be the easiest and least stressful way to swap tank.

New update: 24 hours after placing the purple barnacle cluster in my tank......Miss Priscilla found a nice comfy place in 1 of the barnacles. She has since been moved to her new tank as well as her new friend (male). Haven't named him yet but I figured that she had a 30 gal to herself so I may as well add a male too.

Thank you for all the info. I will get a pic of the 2 of them soon and post it. The male appears a little larger but not by much. These will be the only 2 living things in this tank unless its live food! I do have a few small snails,grass shrimp and copepods.

Jacco: thank you for the welcome :biggrin2:

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
I'm always glad to know that some of my suggestions work out. Like human children and cats, you can't always count on octopuses to behave as you expect. :wink:

We have had excellent luck keeping siblings together as well as animals that were captured living in close quarters (same live rock). This leads us to believe mercs are one of the few octopuses that can be successfully housed together. However, we have occasionally seen one animal die when pairing unfamiliar animals. I believe this has only happened (partially because it the infrequency of trying it) within the first 2 weeks of acclimation and may have nothing to do with placing animals together. My lack of pairing concern is mostly based upon the fact that none of the dead animals were eaten.

If you have a male and female you will almost be guaranteed to have hatchlings. They are not easy to raise but are one of two commonly raised and the only species where we have had multiple generations journalled. Five seems to be the prevailing number of full lifespan offspring, regardless of the number of hatchlings (6 to 100+ have been journalled). Our two longest journals, GHolland's Varys and my Trapper, may come in handy for what to expect (there are forward links in the parent journals to the children and grandchildren of both mercs) :biggrin2:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AuroraVK

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak