• Welcome to TONMO, a community of cephalopod experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts. Established in 2000, we are the founders of TONMOCON, and birthplace of World Octopus Day and Cephalopod Awareness Days. ...You can register here, and Introduce Yourself. To rid yourself of ads and enjoy other perks, become a Supporter for just $25/year. (Now accepting bitcoin & other crypto!) ...Follow us on Twitter and YouTube for more cephy goodness.
  • Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Once bitten, twice shy

DHyslop

Architeuthis
Registered
No difference, really. The bite itself wasn't much more severe than ones he'd previously inflicted--he barely, if at all, breaks the skin. I would have to agree with Tao that it seems like the octopus makes a choice whether to envenomate.

monty

TONMO Supporter
Staff member
Registered
Michael Blue;92144 said:
So, are all Octo's venomous to some degree, or just certain ones?

How about cuttles and Squid?

I know the blue ring, blue lined Octos, striped pajama squid and more recently the flamboyant Cuttle are truly venomous, this question regards the remaining species.

Thanks!

:bluering:

At least most cephalopods have some sort of venom, but most species have venom that isn't too dangerous for humans, just crustaceans.

I believe that the toxins in flamboyant cuttles and maybe the pajama squids are not injected as venom, but rather in the flesh and the slime, respectively, so they're dangerous to creatures that eat them, as opposed to the blue ring is dangerous to creatures that it bites. So, to be pedantic, the blue ring is venomous, while the flamboyant is toxic/poisonous.

edit: Actually, for safety's sake, I should point out that flamboyants and others may also be venomous, I'm not sure that anyone knows. I'm just sure they're toxic, and I'm sure that blue rings are venomous with venom that is lethal to humans. This is key, in that it is much easier to be accidentally bitten by your pet than to accidentally eat your pet.

Neogonodactylus

Haliphron Atlanticus
Staff member
When considering envenomation, you have to consider a host of variables when discussing this topic. They include species, size, depth and duration of the puncture, immune system of the victim, etc. Then there is the danger of the introduction of pathogens into the wound that has nothing to do with the venom that the octopus possesses. As I have said many times before, it is ill advised to offer any octopus the opportunity to bite. Some species definitely pose a risk due to their venom (Hapalochlaena, O. motuti, to a lesser extent O. rubescens and O. fetchi, and what about the 100 or more other species for which we have no data. Play it safe and do not invite a bite.

Roy

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
I think it's possible to avoid being bitten by never giving your octopus the opportunity to envelop your hand. After all, it has to get its beak in contact with your skin to be able to bite, and you can control this.

Most people who offer their hands want to contact and play with their octopuses, but its possible to play with the feeding stick or limit touching to the tips of the arms or gently rubbing between and above the eyes (yes, strange as it seems, many of our TONMO.com octopuses have enjoyed being petted in this way).

Nancy

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Dan,
Maybe the bimac's pair of "blue rings" means, "I am only a little poisonous" :wink:

Michael Blue

Wonderpus
Registered
Monty, I knew the flamboyant was toxic, but didn't the recent study on the Nova(?) program determine they were also venomous? I thought they tested several variables (including the skin and saliva) and said all samples came back toxic, meaning it was both toxic and venomous.

Maybe I misunderstood it?

Steve O'Shea

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
NZ's small O. huttoni (Benham) has sent a few to hospital; I receive a call or two a year from worried doctors.

What on Earth is a pajama squid?

Steve O'Shea

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
I guess these names are just made up.

What's next? Chocolate Pantyhose Squid? Grandma's Bloomers Squid?

Thales

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Dan,

Glad you are OK.

Steve, you think those names are made up, you should see what people are doing to coral names. I kid you not - radioactive gorilla nipple zoanthids.