• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community, and birthplace of #WorldOctopusDay and #CephalopodAwarenessDays. Founded in 2000, we are a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up. You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and enjoy other perks. Follow us on Twitter for more cephy goodness.

Once bitten, twice shy

DHyslop

Architeuthis
Registered
Mr. Octopus gave me some venom last week when I was playing with him. If he's out playing when I open the lid he'll usually come to the top and start grabbing me. I enjoy playing tug of war, but he'd never given me more than a nibble. It felt like a very bad beesting. These photos are of my finger within about a half hour. I took some ibuprofen and slept on it, the next day my finger was still noticeable but not quite as bad as the night before.

corw314

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Ouch.....My reasoning exactly as to why I'm a little hesitant to let Spike get ahold of me..........

monty

TONMO Supporter
Staff member
Registered
It's too late for this time, but for future reference:

http://www.thecephalopodpage.org/octobite.php

recommends hot water treatment for octo bites, and has some references.

sorry about your finger. I'm glad you're not terribly allergic to cephalotoxin.

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
Hmm, that's the worst bimac bite reaction we've had, I believe. Maybe people react differently to the venom. Or maybe this was a deeper bite, not just a nibble. I'm posting my husbands hand after Ollie bit him, which was much less severe. At any rate, unless you have a severe allergic reaction or get an infection from what's in the water, these bites seem to be minor.

Nancy

DHyslop

Architeuthis
Registered
I haven't yet encountered any other animals I'm allergic to. Nonetheless its a good reminder that these are animals that can act unpredictably--Mr. Octopus had plenty of opportunities to do this to me in the past and didn't.

Dan

Taollan

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
I honestly believe differences in bites have less to do with differential reactions than it does with whether or not the octopus actually envenomates and to what degree that it does...

Michael Blue

Wonderpus
Registered
So, are all Octo's venomous to some degree, or just certain ones?

How about cuttles and Squid?

I know the blue ring, blue lined Octos, striped pajama squid and more recently the flamboyant Cuttle are truly venomous, this question regards the remaining species.

Thanks!

:bluering:

Dan, was there anything different about your interaction this time? Did he seem to act any different? Taollan's comment made me wonder why, if in fact it's a matter of "choice" on the part of the octopus whether it envenomates or not, why he would this time and not before.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndyR83

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak