• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Octopus Availability

There are none listed as being acquired by them in our 2008 or 2009 octo list, however, the source of each octopus has not always been documented.

Looks like it might actually be a maya, You can clearly see the ocelli and there is no ring around it. I think that it is either (what D's maya turned out to be a) hummelincki, or an actual maya.

I am guessing hummelincki and I wish someone here would get it to see how well I am doing IDing this species. Our hummelincki, Maya, has collected every shell in her den so am afraid my initial thinking was correct :cry:. I just want to be absolutely sure before calling in the credit or I would take a chance on this one being male (I can't see the third right arm clearly enough to make a call).

My reasons for guessing hummelincki:

Two front arms are shorter and thinner than the other six.

The eye pupil appears to be crescent, not rectangularly shaped.

The longer arm to mantle ratio of about 2.5:1

The star patten around the eye.

The two white spots on the mantle.

The eyespot is the only problem. The blue shows the typical dotted patern and there is a definite bulls eye but the yellow is missing. The smaller picture, however does seem to have the secuenced dark ring, yellow ring, dark ring, blue spotted center disk and dark bullseye center that I am thinking is diagnostic.

Things I don't see but may be there are the purple rings on the sucker tips and the single horn over each eye. The sucker tips are not visible and the animal is not showing crypsis so not seeing them doe not take from the ID call from the pictures.

Most of the above observations can individually be made of many octopuses (the eyespot may be distinct) but I think the list in a single octo may describe our hummelincki/filosus finds.

Hopefully whoever takes this one will be a member or become one.:fingerscrossed:

Did someone here buy it?
:roflmao: As I was typing! OK, Guys and Gals - Fess UP!

I had seen the picture on the "Inverts" link, but not listed inside the category until now.

$149 is a pretty penny for that mature of a 'pus, but at least it's backed by their guarantee.

When it rains it pours

I WOULD use my credit for a chance at another one like Bel (9-10 inches may not be too mature if that is mantle and arm length as I think it is) as I keep peeking into her tank half expecting an octopus to rush to the wall. However, I got a call from Lynn today and I have a new briareus being shipped tomorrow:oops:. Long story but he traded for it not knowing I finally broke down bought two octos recently (he has been looking for a hummelincki for me for the better part of 6 months). From his rough description (he really is afraid of them :roll:) all but one arm has had serious removal but it is eating and he does not feel he can sell it. With the seriously shortened arms, Bel's tank should accomodate it until Maya's larger tank is available.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back