• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Octopus and tank question?

johnism

Blue Ring
Registered
(if you are using a sump )
What kind of over flow are you using?
how do you keep them out of the box? or down tubes (with out restricting flow)? Any pics that could be posted?
Is it true that Astor turf is a good deterrent around openings ? ( I have heard that they do not like the feeling and will avoid that are )
Is there any kind of algae eater they wont eat (Cause they will eat Snails and hermit crabs - correct)?
If my live sand contains( in tank ) - stuff like
(amphipods, copepods, spaghetti worms, chitons, bristle worms, feather dusters, snail larvae, coraline algae ) will they eats these also - then leaving my lives sand ( in tank )with out natural substrate cleaners?
If I order one it would be a Bimacs form either octopus or fishsupply ( now what is the max size of these ) - would it be ok in a 30 gallon alone ( well reef set up ).
Thanks for input and info ,
John

If my live sand contains( in tank ) - stuff like
(amphipods, copepods, spaghetti worms, chitons, bristle worms, feather dusters, snail larvae, coraline algae ) will they eats these also - then leaving my lives sand ( in tank )with out natural substrate cleaners?

the pods will most likely be to small for it to munch on. They do eat them when young, very young. From octopets of FFS they will be beyond this stage when you order, unless you go for eggs and try to rear.

The duster most likely will be broken off my octo activity.

They will not mess with coraline, to my knowledge, and with the low lights octos prefer/need you will not have much algae to worry about!

This sounds like an established tank what did you keep in there currently/prior?

Tank is not established yet , but I am researching the hell out of setups .
I am planning on a live rock/live sand and a REFURIUM in the sump ( with a skimmer ).
I will let this tank run for about 6 months ( with damsels) before even thinking about adding an octopus .
I think the REFURIUM will as be good keep to stock with clams ( thoughts)?
Basically I am building up my knowledge .
Thanks again,
John

Really glad you are doing research to do this right. :biggrin2:
Thats the way I went too. And boy has it saved me some worries!!!

I know a few people here that have put fuges in with their octo tanks, and yes it is a great place to store the buffet!

I used damsels too, but after a few months the get pretty agressive, they will have to come out when you get your octo. You can acclimate black mollies as well.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back