• You are viewing our Exotics and Rare Species forum. Please review our Forum Guidelines and Cephalopod Care Ethics Statement to ensure you are appraised of the dangers and considerations related to pursuing exotics and rare species as an aquarist. Threads in this forum are not featured on our homepage.
  • Welcome to TONMO, a community of cephalopod experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts. Established in 2000, we are the founders of TONMOCON, and birthplace of World Octopus Day and Cephalopod Awareness Days. To contribute to the discussion, register here, and perhaps Introduce Yourself. To rid yourself of ads and enjoy other perks, become a Supporter for just $50/year. Follow us on Twitter and YouTube for more cephy goodness.

obtaining a blue ring

ahel

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
i have read through this board and its archived posts and a lot of documents that were intended to disuade somebody from getting a bluering, but i still am interested and still want to own one and take the proper precautions for the enclosure... i am asking for help, not to be flamed.

tonmo

Cthulhu
Staff member
Webmaster
Sure Tom, I don't think anyone has flamed the anyone here on the matter -- just being responsible, IMO -- they are extremely dangerous pets and the proper caveats are voiced here. But if you want to own one after considering all that, then you have my support, at least! Venom aside, I understand from folks who have posted here that they are very cool pets, but as you noted, that has been debated (and perhaps even some disinformation has been posted across the 'Net to further dissuade... *shrug*).

I'm sure some of the resident experts here can help...

Colin

TONMO Supporter
Registered
Hi Ahel,

Anything in particular you need to know?

They need conditions pretty much the same as any other octo only with extra security measures.

The species most likely to be bought in the USA will be H. lunulata from Indonesia.

C

ahel

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
i dont mean to waste your time, as i have already done a lot of research on the animal, but any information you care to provide and setup suggestions would be good

thanks,

hello ahel,

when working at a fish store in southern california my bosses said that blue rings were readily available in the us and they saw them every once and awhile at the wholesalers. so just about any wholesaler should have them or be able to get them. just talk to your local fish store manager... or whomever does the shopping for the store, good luck and keep on truckin!! toot toot

Colin

TONMO Supporter
Registered
Hi tom

smellslookstasteslikeocta is right, they are quite commonly exported and wholsalers do have them on their lists quite freqently. I knocked them back several times last year, and even ended up with one which was supposed to be O. vulgaris. So they are readily available.

However, They do travel very poorly according to what I have seen and what others have told me via personal correrspondense.

Just let me point to this article again and I hope that you see that most are imported as adults, many could be caught by cyanide and many die during travelling. Aside from the TTX, I still think that the importation of Blue Rings is risky at best.

http://is.dal.ca/~ceph/TCP/bluering5.html

Hope this helps a bit
Colin

It doesn't bother me that blue rings are readily available in the pet trade...what does bother me is the fact that they are sometimes mislabled, like calling them a vulgaris :frown:
Thats gonna cause a big problem when some amateur decides to hold his "vulgaris"...

ahel

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
yes, colin i have read that article from multiple sources and also contacted roy caldwell personally for his opinion.... I guess i just have to find a good source to get the blue ring from??? for a younger specimen?

Latest Posts