New unexpected ceph owner - Identification assistance needed!

vancar10

Hatchling
Registered
Hello! I have several reef tanks and saved this little one from spending the rest of it's days in a bag due to a shipping mishap. Trying to do as much research as I can to identify and ensure parameters and environment are suitable for this particular species but assistance would be much appreciated (this would be my first octo).
Screenshot_20230327_124504_Gallery.jpg

Hi @vancar10, thanks for joining! I'm not very good at ID'ing, but I'm feeling pretty good that that's NOT a bimac or a common vulgaris. But I'll stop there, hopefully an expert can offer some help! Do keep us posted, and read through our forums -- the Search feature is great:
Thank you so much! Glad to have found this site as we start this journey! Including a clearer photo in case anyone else can assist.
Screenshot_20230327_140229_Gallery.jpg

Do you know where this animal was collected from? Could you also help with size- what is the mantle length? That helps a lot with IDs. Also, what time of day is it active?
No idea where it was collected from but am trying to find out more info from the LFS. Only told that she was "pacific brown" which after reading forums doesn't say much. She is only active at night and has been pretty shy so far so I'll try to collect more info as we get glimpses. Has been eating small live crabs so hoping she settles in and peeks out a bit more during feeding time.
Do you know where this animal was collected from? Could you also help with size- what is the mantle length? That helps a lot with IDs. Also, what time of day is it active?

No idea where it was collected from but am trying to find out more info from the LFS. Only told that she was "pacific brown" which after reading forums doesn't say much. She is only active at night and has been pretty shy so far so I'll try to collect more info as we get glimpses. Has been eating small live crabs so hoping she settles in and peeks out a bit more during feeding time.
Usually when I've seen that label, "Pacific Brown," it's a dwarf species that is, or very similar to, O.boki. Basic parameters are fine, and the ones I've had in the past were happy eating live hermit crabs and frozen shrimp, but you could try other live or frozen crabs or shrimp, too.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back