• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community, and birthplace of #WorldOctopusDay and #CephalopodAwarenessDays. Founded in 2000, we are a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up. You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and enjoy other perks. Follow us on Twitter for more cephy goodness.

New octopus :D

drakanorn

GPO
Registered
in about 10 min my octopus briareus (after being drip acclimated for two hours) will get to see his new home :biggrin2:

I got him via ebay shipped up from florada over night. his arms are in tact and he seems stressed but healthy. His mantle is a little under two inches long.

so excited! (and a bit worried...okay really worried)

all of the parameters tested at zero (nitrate 0-5)

sorry not pics for you because i'm keeping the room as dim as passable in an attempt to make the octopus more comfortable.

drakanorn;101021 said:
sorry not pics for you because i'm keeping the room as dim as passable in an attempt to make the octopus more comfortable.

That's a good idea. Don't rush it. We can wait.

Best of luck with it!

drakanorn

GPO
Registered
thanks :smile: hes in the tank now but so is the bag. ill let him come out in his own time. i left the room for about half an hour hoping he would feel more confident to leave the bag but no such luck. he has however repositioned him self so that hes facing towards me & the computer(the most prevalent source of light in the room)

Sounds like you've got the right idea. I like letting them climb out into the tank on their own so they don't have "ESCAPE" on their mind when they enter it.

How quick was the shipment?

drakanorn

GPO
Registered
wile my back was turned the octo disappeared into the aquarium. i did manage to catch a glimpse of a tentacle though :smile:
live arrival. check
successful acclamation. check
tomorrow ill see what i can do about feeding him.

[EDIT] overnight shipping

drakanorn

GPO
Registered
by the light of my computer i caught my octo climbing all over the back of the tank holding onto my hydrometer. this is the first time iv gotten a good look at his arms. as it turns out he only has 5 and 1/2 of them.

drakanorn

GPO
Registered
he seems to have stopped associating me with a monster. i just had a 10 minute stare down with him and he seems to want to get a good look at me too :smile: i didn't expect to see much of him for about a week.

That's probably a good sign! :smile:

I had really great luck with my two Caribbean 'pusses being active from day one. Seems to be an individual personality thing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjh1951

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak