[Octopus]: My new Octopus

Coming back to my statement: Since many or even most octopuses are also found in deeper water a cooler water shouldn't be too bad for them. I mean that's how I think. JUST WONDER IF THIS IS TRUE?
That's certainly not an excuse to neglect to keep their prefered temperature in their tanks.

Coming back to my statement: Since many or even most octopuses are also found in deeper water a cooler water shouldn't be too bad for them. I mean that's how I think. JUST WONDER IF THIS IS TRUE?
That's certainly not an excuse to neglect to keep their prefered temperature in their tanks.
I was surprised at how low the water temperature in the Keys actually is over the winter time! We are going to be adjusting our tank temps to try and better match native environments from now on.

I need to inform you here that Heaty has passed away. I m sure that the time in the cool water did a severe damage to him. After that he was not as active any more as before. Nitrite was around 0 and Nitrate approx. 25.
I repeat what I have said before here. Maybe it is better to let them live where they are born. Those Octos that come from warmer places in the world such as Indonesia or Carribean eventually shouldn't be brought to where its colder. I'm disappointed.

I need to inform you here that Heaty has passed away. I m sure that the time in the cool water did a severe damage to him. After that he was not as active any more as before. Nitrite was around 0 and Nitrate approx. 25.
I repeat what I have said before here. Maybe it is better to let them live where they are born. Those Octos that come from warmer places in the world such as Indonesia or Carribean eventually shouldn't be brought to where its colder. I'm disappointed.
I’m so sorry for your loss, but I implore you not to make a decision for everyone based solely on your experiences. I live in Michigan and regularly get octopuses from Florida with no problems. Possibly your supplier could be doing a better job, maybe there is a glitch somewhere in your system. So many of us have had excellent experiences, maybe you need to do some more research and let your systems settle for a bit...

@ Sedna
What would be typical glitches that may kill an octopus on the keepers side?

In Heaty's case I guess it was the cool water. He may have been in 17'C/63'F cool water for up to a day.

The process of catching and caging and time of shipping leaves certainly a huge impact on them.
A shipping from Florida with a delivery to Michigan may be possible in (less than) a half day but certainly less than a day.
The very most octopuses that you can buy in Europe come from far away such as Indonesia or Philippines etc. The caging conditions there may not be as good as in the USA etc. A long flight and then they end up with a wholesellor that's sends them away again.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back