• You are viewing our Exotics and Rare Species forum. Please review our Forum Guidelines and Cephalopod Care Ethics Statement to ensure you are appraised of the dangers and considerations related to pursuing exotics and rare species as an aquarist. Threads in this forum are not featured on our homepage.
  • Welcome to TONMO, a community of cephalopod experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts. Established in 2000, we are the founders of TONMOCON, and birthplace of World Octopus Day and Cephalopod Awareness Days. ...You can register here, and Introduce Yourself. To rid yourself of ads and enjoy other perks, become a Supporter for just $50/year. (Now accepting bitcoin & other crytpo!) ...Follow us on Twitter and YouTube for more cephy goodness.

My wonderpuss

cthulhu77

TONMO Supporter
Registered
such a dark shade of green envy I have for you right now...oh my...you lucky bast$%#.

Brighton, not sure on the price tag, i'll have to look into it.

The Octo it's self doesn't seem too keen on interacting with me and spends a lot of time digging in it's substrate looking for food, thus we are using crangon crangon as food, a shrimp species which burries as well as worms and things.

Nice tho eh!

cthulhu77

TONMO Supporter
Registered
absolutely unbelievable...I have only seen them in documentaries...oh, to be in merry old England right now ! :mrgreen:

corw314

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Wow!! What a magnificent animal! Interesting he's not interested in interacting. One of the local shops here in Jersey had mentioned they were getting one of these in. Guess they are becoming more available.

Carol

tonmo

Cthulhu
Staff member
Webmaster
Very impressive! Isn't it extremely rare to have the mimic in captivity? I know Dr. James Woods' site an article posted about why it's a bad idea... If I remember correctly, one reason was because no one knows much about them -- or how many of the species actually exist...

That's quite an acquisition, do provide us with details about his/her behavior! 8)

Colin

TONMO Supporter
Registered
Hi Tony

you are right enough about the article against keeping wunderpus and mimics as pets and i dont like it either... I have had a lot of info about their scarcity given to me and last i hear a mimic went for £200! Bearing in mind that the octo is fully grown and with perhaps only a month lef to live then its not a good deal and oviosly not for the octo either.

It has been suggested that they could be quite venemous too...

The article was by Dr Caldwell and Chris Shaw