My First Octopus

I have never been able to gauge how much they should eat and when. Octane was a pig but we didn't know this at the time (he was our first hummelincki) and would eat a whole table shrimp 5-6 times a week. None of our others, including briareus, would eat this much but CaptFish's Legs ate far more. Roy attributes the long life of some bimac's he kept in the lab (one living almost 3 years and several from the same brood over 2) to reduced feeding. We have wondered if splitting the feedings to twice a day vs once a day would have benefit but have never experimented.

I think a change in eating habits is more likely a sign that a new phase has started more than how much they eat. Unfortunately, you have nothing to go by to determine if Violeta has always eaten this way, is ending the rapid growth phase or entering prebrooding (assuming female). Hummelincki females have had a higher than would be expected rate of brooding within two roughly weeks of entering the aquarium. It may be that they are easier to catch because they are out foraging more often during the prebrood stage.

Thank you Lmecher it's nice to hear people are enjoying this forum. I don't know how much anyone will get out of it scientifically, but my intent is to catalog my method of caring for my Octopus. Maybe someone will find it useful.

Day 12

Sorry I didn't post yesterday. My wife has taken an interest in Violeta and fed her before I got home. So Violeta went back into her den. My wife took a couple of pictures of her yesterday that I will post. My wife was completely against me getting an octopus. It appears Violeta has changed her mind.

Day 13

Today I am going to pick up a new cleanup crew for the aquarium. 24 red leg hermit crabs and 6 emerald crabs. One of the emerald crabs may go into my 29g reef tank. I may buy some more live rock, but I have a question. There is a formation of rocks on the right side of my aquarium that came from my old FOWLR tank. It has red cyanobacteria all over it. I hate it. I would like to remove that rock and replace it. Here's the issue one of the rocks is Violeta's new den. Also I plan on replacing 15lbs of rock. Is that too much of a shock to the system to add all at once?

The big issue with adding "new" LR is two fold, how "cured" is it (how much new dead material) and how much of the desireable bacteria populates it.

The first issue is resolved by keeping it in a circulated tank and watching the ammonia. I never put new LR in a tank until it sits for several weeks in a holding tank (sort of a QT tank for rock).

The second requires time and it depends upon the percentage of LR you are replacing. Because what you want to remove is your older rock (most populated with bacteria), I woudl suggest extra water changes for the next month to help compensate (it will also help with the cyno that is in the tank and not just on the rock).

Violeta will adjust to the change but she won't be happy about it and will likely set back your interaction for a couple of days. If you QT the rock, she may change dens during the process on her own (however, Octane kept the same den all 7 months).

I get my live rock from premium aquatics here in Indianapolis. They are great. I think I'll keep the rock in there and add some Mexican red leg hermit crabs. I trust Premium Aquatics curing process. Thank you again.

Day 13

Well today I restocked the cleaning crew and fed Violeta a dime sized piece of shrimp. After I fed her she actually let me pet her between the eyes. Exciting stuff. Then she was off to greet the new cleaning crew in her own special way. :sagrin:

Sorry for the reflections.

This species, at the right age (I am guessing 5-7 months old) seems to be very quickly interactive. Bubbles and Monty are the youngest I believe we have ever seen so it will be interesting to continue to watch them for signs of initiating contact without food. I am still thinking there is a large and small variety in what we call hummelincki/filosus and I don't think the smaller ones are as easily human acclimated (I believe Monty is of the smaller sized variety). The larger males seem to be the most receptive to human touch. It could be something very simple like their skin itches and being petted scratches the itch. ... and then there is Penn :twisted:. I've not kept (or even seen) a bimac but reports on interaction are similar to what we have seen with the hummelincki.

I don't use feeding time as play time but I can't say that it helps or hinders the process. We do let them approach us and touch at that time but they tend to have one thing on their mind and then want to sit and eat peacfully once they acquire food. If they feel your attention is threatening to their dinner they may take the supper and move into a den (I am encouraged if they consistently stay fully visible while eating). An hour or two after feeding seems to be a good "play" time but once they start voluntarily coming to your hand without food, anytime seems to be suitable.

Day 14

I gave Violeta the day off from the camera. She ate her normal piece of shrimp yesterday. She still hasn't eaten a Fiddler crab that I put in the aquarium two days ago. The fiddler crab is still alive I didn't know that they could live in saltwater this long. I got to watch her jet around the aquarium a little bit yesterday. She is very interesting.

I have had fiddlers live for weeks in a saltwater tank. As long as they can get to the surface, they seem to do just fine this way. Very odd that it has not been eaten though.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back