My first baby bandensis, one of many I hope.

There are now no fewer then 19 babies! looks like i'll be ordering more mysids. Although I've still yet to see any eat oldest is still only 1 week old the rest are at least 2 days younger with a bunch being born tonight.

I have noticed the mysids I'm keeping have been reproducing so I'll also look to isolate some of their babies.

octopi88;137757 said:
thats a lot of cuttles

Indeed.

Excellent news I finally saw one eat this morning! And another strike at a mysid but miss.

I'm going to add a 3rd breeder net and divide some of the second group which is at about 15 in one net. I'll probably take 10 of them out since I should still have a few more hatch. This is really exciting for me :smile:

Just a small update. I have about 20-22 and I don't think any more are going to be born. There are still 1-2 eggs that look maybe viable so I'll leave them in for a few more days. Getting stupid bristleworms in the nets is a pain but I remove them as soon as I spot them. Cuttles don't seem frightened by them.

Most seem to have taken the full week to start eating. I cannot confirm they are all eating but many are. On the weekend I plan on moving yet a few more into their own breeder net so I can keep better tabs on them. At this time I'll do a final count and then feed 1 mysid per cuttle until I see them all eating.

With this in mind I have ordered 500 more mysids for arrival tuesday. The ones I bought a couple weeks ago reproduced quite well. I didn't sperate the babies so more were eaten but I now have at least a few dozen extra that have grown to about half the size of the adults. I still have a wild population to catch in my frag tank should I run out before tuesday.

After the 500 I am hoping they will then be eating either frozen or at least amphipods which I have 1000s spread across my frag and display tank and their refugiums.

The ones that I carefully netted and moved to another net are the most skittish of the bunch and have inked several times. The net that I am keeping the 3 oldest in seem the calmest and will venture out a bit in the day. Most of the rest stay hidden during the day and hover about at night.

I will post some more video clips this weekend.