• Welcome to TONMO, a community of cephalopod experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts. Established in 2000, we are the founders of TONMOCON, and birthplace of World Octopus Day and Cephalopod Awareness Days. ...You can register here, and Introduce Yourself. To rid yourself of ads and enjoy other perks, become a Supporter for just $25/year. (Now accepting bitcoin & other crypto!) ...Follow us on Twitter and YouTube for more cephy goodness.
  • Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Monkeypox and exotic pets

Colin

TONMO Supporter
Registered
nice one! :lol:

I used to have a pet hen! Dont think I'd like one as a house pet though!

cthulhu77

TONMO Supporter
Registered
so there you are...some poor copperhead just sitting in some leaves, and some drunken ass shoves you into a box and mails you to a hot box...where you sit until some other guy opens the box, yells, and then you die.
Must suck to be a snake sometimes.
Greg

As a person horrendously allergic to all things cute and fuzzy, and also one quite taken with the darker side of life, I have always kept what I have referred to as "exotic pets" right now I have a ( http://www.key-net.net/users/swb/pet_arthropod/mill.htm ) giant african millepede named Zoella. IMHO, the problem is not so much with the pets themselves as with irresponsible owners. If you are going to keep a strange animal as a pet, you must take responsibility for preventing it from affecting the local ecosystem. The best way to do so? Keep it in a terrarium, seperate from other animals, and only take it out when you've got your eye on it. Simple enough, but as they say, you'll never go broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public.

crocgurl93

Blue Ring
Registered
well honestly I think they should lay back on SOME exotic pets like the endangered ones like tigers and stuff leave that to the zoos but some of the exotic pets are ok like an octopus or something but not the stuff you would find in the jungle like a monkey or something because I've seen pet stores selling tigers and chimps but luckily they were shut down :smile:

cthulhu77

TONMO Supporter
Registered
No, some topics deseve to be revived...and this may be one of them.

It was interesting to read my comments from years ago...since I have totally changed my opinion on exotic pets.

Greg, will you tell us what you think now? You are pretty informed about this stuff.

There was a moment of insanity (inanity?) here in New York a while back when the mayor released a list of animals that were not to be kept as pets in NYC. My favorites on the list were bears and whales. I should find that just for TONMO. Of course, the difference between the rules on paper and what is actually permitted is vast. That was about the time I was looking for an apartment and asked a building superintendent if pets were allowed. His response was, "You could keep a yak with suppurating sores if you could it up the stairs."

Melissa