Mimic Article

Jean

Colossal Squid
Registered
Nice article Jay. But you missed out Fiordicthyes slartibartfasti in your list of humourous names! (it's a fish, a brotula from Fiordland NZ) :biggrin2:
J

Michael Blue

Wonderpus
Registered
I particularly liked the humorous names section, and the mating description and pics, I didn't know we knew that much about them.

Thanks!

Architeuthoceras

Architeuthis
Staff member
Nice article.

Another funny name; Enigmoceras diaboli Hook and Flower 1977, an Ordovician nautiloid from Utah. I think ruffly translated means the diabolic horn of enigma

jhemdal

Cuttlefish
Registered
I always liked the story that Jack Rudloe told about the naming of the livebearing golden brotulid. They wanted to name it "Gunterichthys longipenis" after somebody they knew named Gunter, and then longipenis as a descriptor of the male fish's reproductive apparatus. Gunter objected to the association of his name to that one, and they told him it was going to be longipenis or brevipenis, take his pick!

Jay

p.s. - there is at least one typo in the article - "Mn" mimicry is supposed to read "Mullerian".

jhemdal;93357 said:
I always liked the story that Jack Rudloe told about the naming of the livebearing golden brotulid. They wanted to name it "Gunterichthys longipenis" after somebody they knew named Gunter, and then longipenis as a descriptor of the male fish's reproductive apparatus. Gunter objected to the association of his name to that one, and they told him it was going to be longipenis or brevipenis, take his pick!

Jay

p.s. - there is at least one typo in the article - "Mn" mimicry is supposed to read "Mullerian".

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: