• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community, and birthplace of #WorldOctopusDay and #CephalopodAwarenessDays. Founded in 2000, we are a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up. You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and enjoy other perks. Follow us on Twitter for more cephy goodness.

Mesonychoteuthis vs. elephant seal

Sordes

Wonderpus
Registered
After looking at some of the animal-face-offs, I thought about a hypotethical confrontation of Mesonychoteuthis with an elephant seal. Both live in antarctic waters and large specimens of messy are as big or even bigger than female elephant seals. Is there any indication that such a confrontation could happen? In general I don´t very like such theoretical face-offs, but in this case I´m really interested. Does anybody know what are the largest cephalopods in the diet of elephant seals? It would be really interesting to see such a confrontation, because both opponents would be much closer in size than mesonychoteuthis and sperm whale. What do you think?

Consering that the Messie has hooks and all, the Messie would win if it strikes first, but if the Seal get's to lash out first from the mantle...that would change the results, me thinks.

But I'm not expert, I'm just guessing.

Sordes

Wonderpus
Registered
I don´t kow...the hooks of messie aren´t very big and elephant seals have a very hard skin which is additionally uncovered with huge layers of blubber.

As long as the seal is hooked onto it, the squid may swim back into the depths, dragging the seal around, and once it's hooked, it has limited mobility.

Sordes

Wonderpus
Registered
I think it is dependent of the size difference. Perhaps a large messie could drag a female elephant seal, but could it also drag a bull of several tons?

Well elephant seals can hold their breath for about 2 hours and dive to 5000 feet, so it might be an interesting pairing... They also have VERY strong jaws (I know from personal experience :goofysca: ). They are not particularly bright and probably a Messie could swim faster... will have to do some reading...

Cephkid

Sepia elegans
Registered
I would say almost certainly Messie, but I can't tell if I think that, or if it's just 'cause I like Messie so much...:hmm:

cuttlegirl said:
Well elephant seals can hold their breath for about 2 hours and dive to 5000 feet, so it might be an interesting pairing... They also have VERY strong jaws (I know from personal experience :goofysca: ). They are not particularly bright and probably a Messie could swim faster... will have to do some reading...

What are they doing at 5000 feet? Is there even enough fish down there to be worth going down at that depth? And what are they hunting down there? :confused:

monty

TONMO Supporter
Staff member
Registered
chrono_war01 said:
What are they doing at 5000 feet? Is there even enough fish down there to be worth going down at that depth? And what are they hunting down there? :confused:

Yeah, and seals don't have sonar, and they certainly can't see much down there... do they just hunt bioluminescent stuff? I didn't know any seal-family critters had the same "dive to great depths" adaptations that cetaceans do...

Anyway, my :twocents: is on the squid...

erich orser

TONMO Supporter
Registered
My money is probably with the seal - especially a big, belligerent bull. Those things are meaner than sin, some of the deepest-diving mammals alive, and live on a massive ceph-diet. Could be a close fight, however. When Rebecca was a child, they'd have to close the beach down the street from her house in Cambria because those guys would pull themselves up on the beach and chase people down. Nasty, big ugly critters with horrendous halitosis! And such a beautiful singing voice, too!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjh1951

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak