• Welcome to TONMO, a community of cephalopod experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts. Established in 2000, we are the founders of TONMOCON, and birthplace of World Octopus Day and Cephalopod Awareness Days. ...You can register here, and Introduce Yourself. To rid yourself of ads and enjoy other perks, become a Supporter for just $50/year. (Now accepting bitcoin & other crytpo!) ...Follow us on Twitter and YouTube for more cephy goodness.
  • Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

maybe a stupid question, but I'm gonna ask it anyway

dragonfish

GPO
Registered
I already have a tank for my future octo. but it's just standing there, empty. except for a nice backside made of PU foam, Tufa rock and shells.

now before I go to buying a skimmer etc I want to know some extra things about filtrating an octotank.

for example, I have a big canisterfilter from an old f/wtank. can I use it in a marine system or not?

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
What most of us are using is a wet/dry (trickle) filter in a sump and a protein skimmer.

You must avoid any equipment that has been used in tank where any copper treatment was used. This would be fatal for an octopus.

I haven't heard of anyone making this kind of transfer from FW to SW, so I don't have any specific information - maybe someone else can chime in.

Nancy

dragonfish

GPO
Registered
my original plan was to install a canister filter and have the outflow run 2 ways. one directly in the tank to create current and one over a "trickler" installed in the hood of the tank.

but a friend of mine said this is a bad idea because this would cause nitrate to skyrocket, according to him. since I'm not that familiar with seawater, I wanted the opinion of you guys.

of course I'm also gonna install a skimmer. but this would be the simple "in-tank" model.
since it's a rather small tank (200 liter which is 50 gallons if I'm not mistaking) I think this will do.

but of course, that's just me thinking. Any comments/suggestions/tips/etc are most welcome

Latest Posts