• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community. Founded in 2000, we have built a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up - it's free! You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and gain access to our Supporters forum. Follow us on Twitter and Facebook for more cephy goodness.

Just found a cuttlefish hatchling

TheSeeker

Blue Ring
Registered
I temporarily placed it in a small tank with fresh seawater and a small filter. My main concern is what to feed it...I have frozen fish and live crabs available, but the crabs seem huge to be offered, even if dead...Should I try a tiny piece of fish?

TheSeeker

Blue Ring
Registered
It did not make it...:cry3::cry3::cry3: Maybe I should have let it struggle in the tidal pool where I found it...But it was so cute and fragile I could not resist

tonmo

Cthulhu
Staff member
Webmaster
I'm sorry about the outcome... it's true, they are (usually) best left to their natural defenses!

TheSeeker

Blue Ring
Registered
I haven't thought about the possibility...Do you know if their distribution goes as far as the Mediterranean Sea? I know for sure that we have Sepia officinalis but my knowledge about cuttlefish is very limited...

KD5054

Wonderpus
Registered

TheSeeker

Blue Ring
Registered
Yes they do!
These guys also do not get very big. Cute little buggers though.
Here's a few links for you.
Sepiola atlantica - Wikipedia
So, according to the Wiki article, a single specimen has been collected from Italy! But I am based in Greece, so if you are right and this was indeed a sepiola atlantica that would be super cool for cuttlefish experts to know...I have a short video from the moment I collected it, I will try to post it later in case anyone is interested...

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danielle Nicole

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak