• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

I'VE GOT INKLETS

still no sign of eating. I got the mysid shrimp a little while ago and placed one in with two of the inklets but got the same reaction that I got when I put the amphipods in with them. They just seem to shrink away from the food as if they are afraid of it. I'm not sure what to do. I set up a 2 1/2 gallon tank with glass dividers that i sealed with silicon and i put two air pumps into the water to create some circulation and air flow. I put sand in from the 55 into the chambers but when one of the inklets touched the sand he kind of freaked out and I think is dead. I'm really not sure what to do from here because they are not accepting food and I don't want to put too much in with them because I don't want to fowl the water. I think I'm going to put two back in the 55 but im worried that the transfer might kill them. I'm not really sure what to do but I'm keeping my fingers crossed...

alright i might have some good news (although kind of gruesome). I'm not sure but I put the one that was in the tank that had died in with one of the other little guys and pushed it up to him and he grabbed onto it and is holding on to the dead one now. I think he might be eating it but I'm not sure. At least sombody is eating something....

Jon, I suggest you get them in where ever it is you are going to keep them and stop messing with them for a day or two. Let them relax, then try feeding them by placing 1 food item in with the octo and leaving them both alone. :biggrin2:

Haha I know I'm a very worried parent :razz: Should I just leave the existing food in with them or take it out for now?

also more good news. I just spotted 4 new little guys in the tank and I'm going to leave them in there. I put some of the mysid shrimp and amphipods in my tank so i hope they find them before they find eachother. Maybe this means we still have more babies on the way? I hope. I'll keep you guys updated frequently.

Jon Crossan;119203 said:
Haha I know I'm a very worried parent :razz: Should I just leave the existing food in with them or take it out for now?

I would take the items out in the least disturbing way. :biggrin2:

Well I have lost 2 so far so I'm at 5 in my 55 gallon, 5 in glasses/tubberware, and 2 in a 2 1/2 gallon tank with glass dividers and an air pump for water flow. My buddy from work got back from the bahamas yesterday so I'm gonna see if he can come over today and help me set up everything a little better for the little guys. The babies in the tank seem to have lots of energy and are swimming all over the place and have no problem landing on the sand and walking around. The octos in the 2 1/2 however seem to not like touching the sand I put in the tank with them. The sand came straight out of the 55 so I don't know why it would bother them. They like to stick to the glass more and stay away from the sand. I'm at work and have been all day so to my knowledge none of them have eaten yet but hopefully I will have some better progress. Taking into consideration that they haven't eaten is it still a good idea to remove all the food I have in with them?

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back