Impulse Octo Buy Journal

Jack_Lucas

Blue Ring
Registered
Hello all!

My name is Jack!

Been an aquarist for a long time. But after my divorce, i moved from florida to ny and left my 170 gallon and many other small aquariums behind...

for the past month ive been getting a small aquarium ready, no fish only 6 hermit crabs, some live sand, some live rock...

well today all that changed, I just received a baby octo! Its acclimating in the tank now, will probably only do a 45 min acclimation. Have the lights off...

any idea on the species?

Attachments

• conv_305465.jpg
    conv_305465.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 141

Teacher Kim

GPO
Registered
According to my clock it's 8:30 right now. Hope you read this before you let octopus loose. I would definitely acclimate much longer than 45 min. The staff on this site is great and will help you out a lot. Until you hear from them, I'd look in the octopus care section and see what you can find on acclimating octos. Hope he does great!! T Kim

Upvote 0

Jack_Lucas

Blue Ring
Registered
after one hour of acclimating to the water temp. i have moved the octo to a styrofoam box i lined with plastic. drip acclimating for the next hour?

Attachments

• conv_300735.jpg
    conv_300735.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 146
Upvote 0

Jack_Lucas

Blue Ring
Registered
Ok after around 3 hours of acclimation the octo is in the tank. He immediately swam into a hole in one of the live rocks and is there. I can see him with a flashlight. Lights are off.

Upvote 0

Jack_Lucas

Blue Ring
Registered
Ok after around 3 hours of acclimation the octo is in the tank. He immediately swam into a hole in one of the live rocks and is there. I can see him with a flashlight. Lights are off.

Upvote 0

Jack_Lucas

Blue Ring
Registered
so i had dropped a red feeder crab into the tank while I was acclimating, and I had not seen the crab since figured he hid and would not be heard from again for a while... I went out to dinner left the tank lights off... when I got home, I used my red light to look at the octo and low and behold, he had the red feeder crab in his grasp and was slowly devouring it! Now somehow when I was gone, the octo must of left his hole and stalked around for that crab... I take it this is a decent sign of acclimation?

Attachments

• conv_300738.jpg
    conv_300738.jpg
    219.2 KB · Views: 128
Upvote 0