• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community, and birthplace of #WorldOctopusDay and #CephalopodAwarenessDays. Founded in 2000, we are a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up. You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and enjoy other perks. Follow us on Twitter for more cephy goodness.

I want to have a pet octopus

bluezombie

Blue Ring
Registered
But i know absolutely nothing about them, nor aquariums or water types. What do i need to get started? Also, how much do octopuses cost, generally?

Hello and welcome,

You've come to the right place. First do a lot of research, there is a lot of info on this site in the form of articles people have published and previous posts. There are also a bunch of books on general aquaium care. Try to learn as much as possible before you start as it will save you a lot of headaches and money in the long run.

An average octopus is around $40-80.

:welcome: You should start by reading everything on this site... :biggrin2: Start with the articles at the top of the page (under the Tonmo.com logo). Visit local aquariums (see if you can volunteer in the husbandry department). Find a good local fish store that can give you advice on what you need to set up and maintain an aquarium. Lastly, you will need to be patient because setting up and maintaining an aquarium takes time and money.

Good luck!

monty

TONMO Supporter
Staff member
Registered
:welcome:

One thing to keep in mind is that the cost of the octopus is nothing compared to the cost of its food...

bluezombie

Blue Ring
Registered
Thanks, I'll start reading up.

Also, i want a rather large octopus. I heard bimacs are most common, because they're small, but i want one that's a pretty decent size. Say a handfull or so. What species is that called?

Bimaculodes are the ones that most people keep and are probably one of the easier to keep. They can get about 15-20 inches with it's arms stretched out.

oscer

Banned
Banned
hi welcome i have i dwarf octo probably the most easy type to keep. the get about 7 inches and live to be 6 monthes to 1 year. my advise get a dwarf octo but im barley an aqua artist so my info is not very acurate. i feed mine octo 4 times a week another thing there good becouse u can keep a full grown one in a 20 gal. hope that helps any other questions ask me (@:

You should definitely get involved with you local marine aquarium society if you have one. The members will help you get familiar with the equipment, and probably sell you used equipment, including aquarium relatively cheap.

If you don't have a local marine aquarium society, make sure whatever fish store you go to has knowledgeable employees that can give good advice, and not just "Good salesmen".

Like the others said, prepare to spend a lot of money! Your setup will be the greatest expense, but in the long run, will be very rewarding. The best thing you can do in this hobby is BE PATIENT!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjh1951

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak