I REALLY NEED HELP

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
There is a poll at the top of the Tank Maintenance Forum that shows how much people have spent on their tanks and other equipment. You might want to read the individual posts, too, to see what people have actually bought.

Some octos do a lot more color and texture change than others - depends on the species and perhaps to some extent, the individual. Siince I had a lot of lavendar and purple coralline algae in my tank, I saw a lot of those colors on my bimac (very pretty on an octo).

It's a good suggestion that you get some salt water experience first -- you wouldn't need such a large tank to start with.

Nancy

Jean

Colossal Squid
Registered
really dumb kid said:
well i have had alot of fresh water fish so im not completely clueless

well rdk, saltwater tanks are waaaaaaaaaay different to fresh and can be considerably more difficult to keep and octopus are amongst the most difficult marine critters!

I REALLY support what the others have been saying, get some marine experience before you try for an octi, it'll be worth it in the long run!

Cheers

Jean

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
I'd recommend an invertebrate tank. Octos are invertebrates, so some of the concerns would be the same.

You could have one or two cleaner shrimp (skunk shrimp), which are very friendly and will learn to eat from your hand - they're pretty, too. You could have various snails and crabs to clean your tank and there'd be room to tuck in a couple of outher small creatures, depending on the tank size.

It's important to have a tank like this where you can see it well up close - it becomes a whole little world with its own inhabitants and is a lot of fun to watch.

Nancy

thats the idea, the main reason for this, is that you learn all the littel mistakes that people who just start saltwater make, and your not making these mistakes with an octo in the tank. if you are wanting somthing interesting and agressive, but easy to take care you, you may want to try a peacock mantis shrimp, as long as it is in a acrylic tank, not a glass one.

cthulhu77

TONMO Supporter
Registered
Well, the thing of it is this : once you get a mushroom coral, or an anemone home, you can sit for hours and just watch them...they are that fascinating ! Action ? How about a pulsing Xenia ? Fun? Get some seahorses !!! There are so many things to learn, and so little time...good luck on your adventure ! (and keep in touch, too !)

greg

Latest Posts