I have some new octopus questions?

I am going to divert this questions a little but before I do I would like to agree with everyone in cautioning you. I am an octo begginer and I am taking 4 more months for my tank to cycle. I have a 75 gallon, I have spent $400 on live rock. Purchased new lighting, specialized lids, live sand, live water, a sump, refugium and protein skimmer for a 200 gallon aquarium. (all on a teachers salary) These are INTELLIGENT animals. After all this spending I am still concerned about my ability to provide mental stimulus for this type organism. Plan to spend at least $1000. If you are spending less you are probably curring corners. Even though I have a 75 gallon. I am still worried that this will not be enough space to provide an enjoyable life for my octo.

Now on to my divergent question. Should I purchase any Pods? I am worried that the live rock will not have enough microorganisms to be effective. I have special live mud for my refugium, do you add pods to the refugium as well? I was planning on adding pods in July, shrimp in eary august, hermit crabs in late august and them the octo in september. Thoughts? Concerns? What pods do I buy, or do I need pods?

Sorry I did not spell check this

Faaborg;116893 said:
Now on to my divergent question. Should I purchase any Pods? I am worried that the live rock will not have enough microorganisms to be effective. I have special live mud for my refugium, do you add pods to the refugium as well? I was planning on adding pods in July, shrimp in eary august, hermit crabs in late august and them the octo in september. Thoughts? Concerns? What pods do I buy, or do I need pods?

I've never deliberately added pods to my tank and there is a ton of them. You might do it just to boost the population quickly but I think you will be fine without them. Chances are there's already a lot of them and you're just not seeing them yet. We recently set up a 140 gallon tank with mostly dried out live rock, and about 40lbs of good live rock to seed it. After the cycle I added some pieces from another tank and ended up having to remove an orange sponge that wasn't fairing well and I counted about 2 dozen pods on the sponge alone. If you can buy some macro-algae like chaetomorpha for your refugium it will likely come with a lot of pods.

If you do decide to order some there are several places to get them, including Ebay. Some stores sell "Tigger Pods" in bottles. Personally I think it's a waste of money. You might be better off adding some live mysis shrimp.

http://cgi.ebay.com/FISH-FOOD-COPEP...ryZ46308QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

AquaForce

Blue Ring
Registered
in agreence with animal mother..... you already have a refugium as part of your filtration, provided it is a "fishless" fuge.... in addition to that, you can always have what i call a "rubble cup" (in my reefs) where you have a tupperware (a quart or so depending on system size) that you fill w/ live rock. This provides a healthy breeding area for your pods to flourish!(the mysis shrimp are always a good idea as well!)

Latest Posts