• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

I have some new octopus questions?

Um, Ebay is online, and yes, occasionally you can buy them there. When they are available on there, they are a "Buy It Now" offer, not an auction. Otherwise www.divertom.com is your only other option that regularly has them as far as I know. Maybe if you're lucky someone on here will have some available sometime.

I can tell you right now from reading your posts that you are seriously going to have to learn some patience before you undergo the task of keeping any kind of a saltwater tank let alone an octopus. Not being a jerk, just telling you straight up. I'm not one to beat around the bush. There's just nothing easy or quick and cheap about it.

yeah, what Animal Mother just said!

There are no shortcuts to take here. take your time, set up slowly and learn more about keeping an octopus's tank before you get the octopus. This will help avoid disappointment and a dead octo.

Keep asking questions :smile:

Colin;116597 said:
yeah, what Animal Mother just said!

There are no shortcuts to take here. take your time, set up slowly and learn more about keeping an octopus's tank before you get the octopus. This will help avoid disappointment and a dead octo.

Keep asking questions :smile:
Trust me, i will!

I am going to divert this questions a little but before I do I would like to agree with everyone in cautioning you. I am an octo begginer and I am taking 4 more months for my tank to cycle. I have a 75 gallon, I have spent $400 on live rock. Purchased new lighting, specialized lids, live sand, live water, a sump, refugium and protein skimmer for a 200 gallon aquarium. (all on a teachers salary) These are INTELLIGENT animals. After all this spending I am still concerned about my ability to provide mental stimulus for this type organism. Plan to spend at least $1000. If you are spending less you are probably curring corners. Even though I have a 75 gallon. I am still worried that this will not be enough space to provide an enjoyable life for my octo.

Now on to my divergent question. Should I purchase any Pods? I am worried that the live rock will not have enough microorganisms to be effective. I have special live mud for my refugium, do you add pods to the refugium as well? I was planning on adding pods in July, shrimp in eary august, hermit crabs in late august and them the octo in september. Thoughts? Concerns? What pods do I buy, or do I need pods?

Sorry I did not spell check this

Faaborg;116893 said:
Now on to my divergent question. Should I purchase any Pods? I am worried that the live rock will not have enough microorganisms to be effective. I have special live mud for my refugium, do you add pods to the refugium as well? I was planning on adding pods in July, shrimp in eary august, hermit crabs in late august and them the octo in september. Thoughts? Concerns? What pods do I buy, or do I need pods?

I've never deliberately added pods to my tank and there is a ton of them. You might do it just to boost the population quickly but I think you will be fine without them. Chances are there's already a lot of them and you're just not seeing them yet. We recently set up a 140 gallon tank with mostly dried out live rock, and about 40lbs of good live rock to seed it. After the cycle I added some pieces from another tank and ended up having to remove an orange sponge that wasn't fairing well and I counted about 2 dozen pods on the sponge alone. If you can buy some macro-algae like chaetomorpha for your refugium it will likely come with a lot of pods.

If you do decide to order some there are several places to get them, including Ebay. Some stores sell "Tigger Pods" in bottles. Personally I think it's a waste of money. You might be better off adding some live mysis shrimp.

http://cgi.ebay.com/FISH-FOOD-COPEP...ryZ46308QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

in agreence with animal mother..... you already have a refugium as part of your filtration, provided it is a "fishless" fuge.... in addition to that, you can always have what i call a "rubble cup" (in my reefs) where you have a tupperware (a quart or so depending on system size) that you fill w/ live rock. This provides a healthy breeding area for your pods to flourish!(the mysis shrimp are always a good idea as well!)

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back