• You are viewing our Exotics and Rare Species forum. Please review our Forum Guidelines and Cephalopod Care Ethics Statement to ensure you are appraised of the dangers and considerations related to pursuing exotics and rare species as an aquarist. Threads in this forum are not featured on our homepage.
  • Welcome to TONMO, a community of cephalopod experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts. Established in 2000, we are the founders of TONMOCON, and birthplace of World Octopus Day and Cephalopod Awareness Days. ...You can register here, and Introduce Yourself. To rid yourself of ads and enjoy other perks, become a Supporter for just $50/year. (Now accepting bitcoin & other crytpo!) ...Follow us on Twitter and YouTube for more cephy goodness.

Hitchhiker ID Please

AquaForce

Blue Ring
Registered
So, with my fish shipment this week we got all kinds of nice fish, corals, etc..... including which were some zebra striped turbo snails..... one of those snails turned out to be a little octo.... no idea as to what he is, has not come out on a diurnal/nocturnal basis whatsoever, just every now and then during the day and night..... hasnt eaten to my knowledge and ends of legs seem curled up... Any ideas appreciated(i am bringing my camera in on sunday to get some better photos)

Attachments

• conv_303320.jpg
    conv_303320.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 3

monty

TONMO Supporter
Staff member
Registered
I moved this into the "exotics and rare species" from "ID requests," since we're trying to concentrate discussion of these octos here. One of the open questions is where these octos are coming from, since there's some evidence that they are no longer seen in their known habitat, yet somehow many of them have appeared in the pet trade in the last 2 months or so... Do you have any information on where this shipment came from?

AquaForce

Blue Ring
Registered
Sorry about the delay, ive been on the road and havnt had a second to reply, but i have good news and bad news.
The good news is last night i dropped 2 saltwater ghost shrimp and they are nowhere to be found.
The bad news is so is the little octo.
Will keep you guys updated:cry:

I wouldn't worry too much. Octos, especially pygmies, tend to be seclusive, and hide a good bit. It's probably just recuperating from the shipment. Unless there are other fish or invertebrates in the tank...?

Yeah, this is very typical octopus behavior. I don't think any of us really get used to it though. Just when you have given up, you'll see it.

AquaForce

Blue Ring
Registered
Good News.... He was out and about for about 5 minutes before i turned the light on this morning.... now i need more food!!! I put some Nerite snails in, and i have some tiny blue leg hermits, but no more ghost shrimp( i gave him my last two) until later this week probably.....