• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Hitchhiker ID Please

AquaForce

Blue Ring
Registered
So, with my fish shipment this week we got all kinds of nice fish, corals, etc..... including which were some zebra striped turbo snails..... one of those snails turned out to be a little octo.... no idea as to what he is, has not come out on a diurnal/nocturnal basis whatsoever, just every now and then during the day and night..... hasnt eaten to my knowledge and ends of legs seem curled up... Any ideas appreciated(i am bringing my camera in on sunday to get some better photos)

Attachments

• conv_303320.jpg
    conv_303320.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 22
I moved this into the "exotics and rare species" from "ID requests," since we're trying to concentrate discussion of these octos here. One of the open questions is where these octos are coming from, since there's some evidence that they are no longer seen in their known habitat, yet somehow many of them have appeared in the pet trade in the last 2 months or so... Do you have any information on where this shipment came from?

Sorry about the delay, ive been on the road and havnt had a second to reply, but i have good news and bad news.
The good news is last night i dropped 2 saltwater ghost shrimp and they are nowhere to be found.
The bad news is so is the little octo.
Will keep you guys updated:cry:

I wouldn't worry too much. Octos, especially pygmies, tend to be seclusive, and hide a good bit. It's probably just recuperating from the shipment. Unless there are other fish or invertebrates in the tank...?

Good News.... He was out and about for about 5 minutes before i turned the light on this morning.... now i need more food!!! I put some Nerite snails in, and i have some tiny blue leg hermits, but no more ghost shrimp( i gave him my last two) until later this week probably.....

Thank you for the correction there, no not exactly sure.... havnt sent it to Thales yet for his breeding program.... although i am interested in finding out what sex the little bugger actually turns out to be!

You might add a little extra Cyclop-eeze :biggrin2: or try squirting it into the tank about half an hour after all ambient and tank lights are out. If you can rig a red light (my best experience is with filter an outdoor flourescent with red film) you can leave that on (mine is on 24/7 with the Mercs) to see if it comes out to feed. I don't know if all small octos will eat it but the Mercs won't take their shrimp until after I have fed some to the tank.

Thanks for the tip, as far as red light goes, Current makes a lunar LED system which is pretty cool.... You buy a module with a power supply that has 2 LEDs which you can connect to less expensive(than the lunar light w/power supply) Lunar link, which feeds of of the one power supply

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back