• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Help with tank for a beginner

mp3

Hatchling
Registered
As you all can see, I am new to these forums. I have been interested in getting an octopus for several months now. Currently i have a 215 gallon reef setup, that I enjoy tremendously. I know that i will have to get a new tank for my octopus, for obvious reasons, however; I have not been able to find information on the right tank. I assume I will need something around 55 gallons, but my main concerns are 1) How to filter the water properly without the octopus escaping and 2) Where and how to put the light as to not be bad for the octopus.
If you have any suggestions you can offer any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, if able to include photos of your personal setup, those would be great to give me something to visualize.

PS. If this is in the wrong forum im sorry, this appears to be the correct place, but if it is wrong admins feel free to move it.

Thanks in advance,
MP3

Hi mp3 and welcome to TONMO.com! :welcome:

You have a good start if you already have a big reef aquarium. You're right, a 55 gallon will do for an octopus (such as the tank bred bimac).

The easiest way to handle filtration is to use a sump. Have a look at the thread at the top of this forum (What do you have....) where people describe their setups.

You need only as fluorescent strip light for an octopus, not those bright lights you use for reef tanks, so it can be right above your tank cover.

Hope all that helps!

Nancy

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back